Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to finish tile at shower ceiling?

Posted by caroline732 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 10:44

Hi,

Our backerboard is up and we did a draft layout of shower our tile on grid paper. It works out perfectly to have tile to the ceiling -- with the tile at the top being two rows of our 3 x 9 decorative tiles (not bullnose). I do have a 3 x 9 bullnose avalable that matches the main tile, but the 2 rows of decorative looks sharp.

In the rest of the bathroom I will have paint and I am putting up crown molding.

How do we finish off the top? Do we just caulk at the corner with the sheetrock on the ceiling? Can I use crown molding and take off one of the rows of decorative tiles? Should I replace the top row of 3 x 9 decorative tile with the 3 x 9 bullnose piece at the top? Do we use that piece of plastic schluter trim we found at HD that you use for outside corners?

I know there is a recent topic about this but how does that schluter piece look. I think the double row of decorative tiles will look really nice.

Your advice is most appreciated!

Grid draft layout of back/long shower wall with prefab proform niche

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our tile pieces (9 x 12 regular, 9 x 12 decorative, 3 x 9 decoratives, 3 x 9 bullnose)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to finish tile at shower ceiling?

If you're abutting the ceiling (or crown molding if you decide to go that route) there's no need for bullnose, or the Schluter finishing strip. Just caulk the tile into the sheetrock, or crown molding, whichever way you decide to go. Don't overthink this. You'll end up making it more difficult than it really is. :-)

o

I agree with Bill.

I wouldn't use crown in that application unless the rest of the house is appropriately trimmed out.

That written, I use crown throughout bathrooms, even in showers, on a regular basis.

If the ceiling/wall intersection is straight, then tiling to the ceiling and caulking the top would be fine.

If the intersection is a bit wavy and you think tiling to the ceiling would accentuate that wavyness, then leave the top 3" blank and paint it the same color as the ceiling.

Decision, decisions...

Mongo

o

Caroline, I can't answer your question, but I was intrigued by the idea of putting crown in the shower, so I'm jumping in with a followup to your question.

Can the crown molding be wood, and if the shower is already tiled to the ceiling, can it be installed on top of the tile?

o

Can the crown molding be wood, and if the shower is already tiled to the ceiling, can it be installed on top of the tile?

Yes, and yes, if done carefully. If the tile's done already, it's going to be tough driving nails for the nailer behind the crown, but it can be done.

o

Mongo,

Please define waviness -- this is really an issue for me trying to decide how to finish the tile at the top of the ceiling....

Thanks,

Caroline

o

Also,

We put new drywalll on the ceiling. I was thinking I could make sure the joint in between the hardibacker on the wall & the ceiling was very smooth and even through the joint compound applications & sanding process.

Would that make tiling to the ceiling easier?

I know Bill V. said not to overthink this and now I am :(

Thanks!

o

If you are using 8 x 12 in tiles on a shower wall vertically, how should the tiles be placed on the ceiling of the shower? Does it matter?

o

I'll usually run them so that as you come into the area, you're looking at the length of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here