Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Engineered composite vanity tops

Posted by Karen15 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:36

We don't want laminate counters. I have heard corian scratches too easily and granite is pricey. I would actually love quartz for maintenance free but that's even more pricey. Has anyone ever heard of engineered composite stone tops? One brand I am looking at is St. Paul Woodcrafters. Would love to know your review of the product. It says it looks like granite but costs less. I don't want it to look cheap though. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Engineered composite vanity tops

Are you referring to something like cultured granite? If so, I personally like them. Although they do not have the high polish of granite and in comparing prices, they honestly (in my area) are not significantly less expensive than an entry level granite.

This post was edited by carra on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:24

o

I came across the brand on home depot and it said AB engineered composite. They look really nice but for example a small single 24in vanity and top combo is only $175.

o

Basically it says create the look of granite without the price tag. Stone effects

o

I'm not familiar with that exact product but after looking at the home depot website, I'd say the product looks more like marble than granite. I spoke to a guy at Lowe's last week about pricing a cultured granite vanity (a 6 foot run with one sink) and it only came in about $75 less than real granite.

o

Right now I am in the process of freshening up one of my bathrooms and demo with the jackhammers is tomorrow. One of my choices for vanity top and shower surround was cultured granite which did not originally appeal to me. Then I went into a local very high-end bath showroom to get some ideas and Lo and behold, there was a tub to shower display made with the cultured granite in a matte finish. Looked just like Corian and was surprised when the designer told me it was cultured granite. Sure changed my opinion and fortunately my contractor uses one of the best fabricators in the area so that ended up being my choice. There is nothing about it that looks cheap, however, some colors look better than others.
I would think the glossier surface would show some scratches and watermarks and for that plus aesthetic reasons, I chose the matte finish.
In the next couple of weeks, I shall have my new shower and vanity top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here