Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgd1_gw

Honey Onyx

cgd1
13 years ago

My husband and I (who never agree on anything design-related) BOTH fell in LOVE with a honey onyx mosaic tile (mini versailles pattern) at The Tile Shop. We'd like to use this for the floor of our master bath remodel, with a beveled white subway tile shower (with a small strip of a honey onyx mini-brick as an accent).

Two questions:

1. Is the Honey onyx a HUGE mistake maintenance/durability wise? (If it will just be a pain to clean, etc, we will probably run the risk because we love it so much).

2. has anyone done Honey Onyx, and if so, what would you do for a countertop? Honey onyx slab is a possibility, but probably out of this world expensive. Has anyone found a granite or quartz countertop that works well with honey onyx?

Thanks,

Comments (3)

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Sorry, I do not have honey onyx. But I did want to say that I've seen honey onyx tile and it is absolutely stunning. I can see why you fell in love with it.

{{gwi:1477726}}

Also, there are a ton of granites with warm yellow/honey tones. In particular, there are a lot of granites with cream/white backgrounds that would work well. There are also some darker granites with warm yellow/honey tones. I suspect if you took some honey onyx samples to a granite yard you could find some really lovely granite that would work well with the tile. Here are a few pictures from marble.com that seem like they might work.

Ambrosia Gold

Atlantis

Blue Fire

Bossa Nova

Colonial Gold

Delicatus Gold

Golden Beach

Golden Riviera

Juparana Super Classico

Lumiere

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

I used honey onyx in our previous house's kitchen and master bath, to keep with the southwestern theme of the adobe/viga/latilla/brick floor house without going the whole Talavera route. The only floor that got onyx was inside the shower, where obviously usage is pretty soft :) .

For the bath, I used 4x4 tumbled tiles on the shower floor and ceiling, set on the diagonal, and 12x12 polished tiles on the walls, bench, and as the shelves. The inlay stripe is tumbled honey/green/brown/red onyx mini-bricks with glass liner bars. I squeeged the walls and floor of the shower every time and it kept up really nice. I'm not doing glass doors nor tile in my current house's bath though, for easier maintenance in my lazy retirement :) .
    (sorry no pics of completed bath)

The granite for the countertop was called mocha juperana by AZ Tile where we got it.

I used Miracle 511 Sealer or Impregnator, which ever one helped the "wet" look, on every piece of the tumbed tile before it was installed. I would've sealed it on the shower floor every year or something as a precaution, except we sold the house.

So, I guess as a very long winded way to answer your questions, I wouldn't put it on floors where shoes get at it and it will require some maintenance. And I liked the other granites shown in this post too--pricklypearcactus has good taste!

well, I just looked again at the date of your post and hope that maybe you were taking your time on your remodel, or else by now you're already done...

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

I have no personal experience with the onyx but I will tell you that I go to a very busy large
    Thai restaurant in my area and they refurbished several years ago and put in two vessel sinks made from onyx, as well as the back splash area. It all still looks beautiful. It gets a ton of use believe me and I don't know what they clean it with but it all looks really good.