Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dontcallmeshirley_gw

Do you have an 18' deep vanity?

dontcallmeshirley
16 years ago

.............Do you like it?

I have been trying to decide if it is worth ordering an 18" vanity. I could fit a 21" vanity (31" to wall), but the 18" would give me that much more valuable space needed to open up this small bathroom. I just don't want to regret having a smaller sink. What should be my priority? Space or sink?

Comments (6)

• jhampton
    16 years ago

Space is very important in a bathroom. Once it becomes cluttered or confined it will be the first thing anyone who uses it will notice. Whenever there is a shortage of space for a vanity I have reccomended the person purchase an 18", a pedestal sink, or (my choice) a euro vanity which has a smaller cabinet underneath a china top. Usually the latter gives you the large sink, with storage, but also leaves more overall space in the bathroom. I put a link to an example of the style.

Here is a link that might be useful: euro vanity

• dontcallmeshirley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jhampton, thank you for the confirmation. I wish I could use the top mounted sink you linked but the vanity I want is too high. I would like to know if one of those euro sinks that protrude over the top could be carved into a regular vanity. That would be an excellent solution.

• verysleepy
    16 years ago

Hi there. We have a tiny bathroom, and only one, as we live in a Manhattan co-op apartment. The space in the bath is minute. Since we renovated our entire apartment, we had our cabinet people construct a simple vanity with an undermount sink. I wanted it to be stylish- so I found a small rectangular sink by Bates and Bates- The Vicki model, and the vanity was made with dark wood, and holds a tremedous amount. Of course it was constructed around the pipes from the sink- but still holds a great deal. If custom cabinetry is an option- go for it! It was less expensive than one of the smaller, stylish ones for sale!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Not 18", but this is a configuration that may be of interest (or not).

Our master bath has two LARGE pedestal sinks. At the back, we have a small shelf that is just amazing for functionality. Between the two sinks, we have a chest with drawers "his and hers". This configuration worked so well in our previous house, that we did it again in this current house. My DH and I just mentioned the other day how we can never go back to a standard counter height vanity.

This photo was taken just after painting, so all the "stuff" that would be on the shelf isn't there -- toothbrush holders, cologne bottles, etc.

Cameron

• dontcallmeshirley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits, I have seriously considered your space saving solution ever since being struck by clare_de_luna and roccocogirl's stunning bathrooms on this site. Eliminating a vanity is going out on a limb a little, but the added space, forced lack of clutter and the beauty of the pedestal's simplicity gives it a big advantage. What is the name of your pedestal sink?

What still tempts me about a 60" vanity is the placement of a long, strong horizontal line in this 7' x 8' rectangular room (tub & closet along one side), the storage, matching the door pattern of the vanity to that of my linen closet hutch, and the fear that the next family to live in this house will hate me. But after endless searching I have lost hope of finding the perfect vanity which will also open up the space. A wall mounted vanity would work, but is too modern for my traditional beadboarded home. I think verysleepy is also verysmart to have solved that problem by building a vanity to specifications.

jhampton, I took another look at your link to the top mounted sink and realized it comes with it's own cabinet pedestal. I've never seen that one. It would be a very nice space saving storage place in the right space.

Thanks very much for your input and pictures. You have comforted me by reconfirming what I already had in mind and made my options that much clearer.

Decision time... no guts, no glory!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Sorry that I just checked back here (DH was home from work for a week).

Those are Porcher pedestals.
    Lutezia white #04268/04440 27½"x21¼"x32"

The chest of drawers cabinet was custom made. It measures 28.5" w x 20" d x 44" h.

The individual (6) single-depth drawers measure 14"w x 7.5"h x 20" d

The bottom (2) double-depth drawers are 14"x x 16.5" h x 20" d and hold the largest Listerine bottle, hairdryer, bottles of lotion and other tall things like that.

The granite countertop measures 4.5" deep, using a kneewall as the ledge. It is totally integrated with the cabinet countertop.

I created all the measurements and provided my concept drawings where I designed this configuration for the architect and builder.

Cameron

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012