Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1957 Rambler original shower tile

Posted by snowmaiden (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 10:03

My pink tiled shower is missing grout in a bunch of the wall tiles. What do I need to do before I attempt to regrout the wall? I know water has gotten behind the tile. I pried on tile off the bottom to see what was behind it, but I have no clue what I am looking for! I can upload a picture if needed.

The tile, and probably the grout, is original to my house which was built in 1957. The walls in my house are plaster, not sheetrock.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1957 Rambler original shower tile

It should probably be a mortar bed of grey mortar covering wire lathe, which would be covered by the mortar and not seen, in this age of house. Sometimes you will see the wire lathe where there are any cutouts for recessed soap dishes or such should you remove those.

Please post a picture :)

o

Of course water has gotten behind the tile. Neither tile nor grout are waterproof. The waterproofing is done before the tile goes up.

o

My first thought was, how did you fit a shower inside your car?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here