Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ck_squared

Need opinion on MB layout/size please

ck_squared
9 years ago

We are in the process of finding the perfect-for-us master bath layout for a remodel. This is the most current rendition of the master bath layout, the one we like the most. But I'm wondering if we are giving up too much.

The current bath/closet space is quite similar but the shower is 4'W rather than almost 5'W and 42"D rather than 51"D. The toilet is in the same place. The tub is in the same place but we are switching to a freestanding soaker from a built-in corner whirlpool which hasn't been used for years (don't like the jets - will love a soaker). There is only one window (not two, as shown) as shown on the bottom of the layout.

The current vanity has 2 sinks and is on the bottom wall as seen in the layout. We only use one sink as the other is too close to the wall. Like the idea of separate vanities but wonder if we are trying to squeeze in too much.

The biggest change is a closet which is quite a bit smaller but we feel that it won't be an issue. The closet will have over 12' of hanging space plus shelving.

We'll have two separate vanities as shown in the layout with 2 linen/storage towers on each one (we were lacking storage space and a linen closet in the current bath).

What is your opinion of this design? Is there anything we should do differently? We are seldom, if ever, in the bathroom at the same time. We plan to live here at least 5 years if not longer.

Thanks so much.

Comments (13)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the diagonal tub takes up too much room.

The doorswing for the shower makes it hit the toilet bowl and you could break the door as a result.

If you made one sink with a linen cabinet like you have it and the other just a long vanity with a change in the sink position, it's possible that you *could use the sinks at the same time if necessary. Now it's tight with them back-to back this way.

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The door swing would go in the opposite direction (we have the same thing in another bath and it works fine). Didn't notice that before - thanks for pointing it out.

Designer tried the tub on a wall, but he thinks there's just not enough space. It would create even less space between vanity and edge of tub if it went on either wall.

Good idea about the vanities, off-set sinks.

Thanks, so much, pal!

p.s. the knee wall would go away - takes up too much space.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think you need to double check your measurements. Right now the closet space (4 ft 6 in) plus wall depth (6 in) plus shower length (4 ft 11 in) does not add up to 10 ft 11 in.. Please put your layout on graph paper with measurements. If you really like to soak, check out a smaller footprint soaker tub running parallel to the toilet wall. Then you could lengthen your sink. Without accurate measurements, it's hard to tell if you can really fit in a second sink.

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

Your comment "we are seldom, if ever, in the bathroom at the same time" makes me wonder if you might could do with just one vanity.

I sketched on this a bit and here's what I came up with (sorry for the wobbly lines). I removed that small angle wall and gave you a flat wall to hang towels and a bit more room. The area labeled storage could be built in cabinetry or a freestanding piece. One sink with more counter space. I've seen many freestanding tubs with the faucet at the end - this gives you a bit more flexibility with an "L-shaped" bathroom.

Your first comment was that you felt like you were giving up too much with your plan ... I wonder what specifically you feel you are giving up?

Thanks for posting this. It was fun to think about for a bit.

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Karen! You are right about the measurements. They add up to 9'11", correct? That means I have another foot of space to work with??? This drawing is direct from my GC! I'd better check with him.

ETA: I just figured out what the deal is. There is a foot of shelf space not really marked on the drawing. The drawing's measurements are accurate as is.

The tub I have picked out is 67". There is a 60" model available but was worried that that might be too small.

Ducky - Thanks so much for taking the time to draw out another idea. You are right that I'm contemplating a single sink/vanity. To your other comment, I'm wondering if I'm giving up too much closet space. It's a smallish bedroom (about 14 x 16) to begin with and a closet that's not very big. But this design makes it even smaller.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 13:09

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

Hum. The size of your tub and shower make gaining more closet space quite tricky.

I actually only took the small angled corner out of the closet. I didn't move the other walls.

With a bedroom that large, are there other options for adding a second closet somewhere?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Depth is probably more important in a soaking tub than length unless you're pretty tall. In a bathroom this size you may want to test drive the shorter tub. Taking the angle out of the closet doesn't reduce Usable space.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

How wide will your walk in closet be? It is hard to tell from the layout photo. It must be about 5 ft 6 inn deep?, but how wide is it? I think 6 feet wide should be the minimum. 2 feet on each side for clothes and 2 feet for an aisle.
    I've never had a small soaking tub, but I know I would like it better. I like to read in the tub :) and the length makes it hard to sit up in the tub. Of course, then it would have to be deeper. I think I'd love one of those Japanese style soakers, but they might be hard to get in and out of.

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ducky - We have plenty of storage (furniture) in the bedroom. I was just wondering if the closet itself will feel too small now.

karen - I believe the closet is approx. 5' 2-5/8" wide since the shelves are drawn as 12" deep. My hangers stick out 18" when I measure them making the aisle about 2' 2-5/8" wide. Seems tight, but maybe that is enough.

If the depth is 5' 6-1/2", and we use shelves against the back wall, that would make the walkway about 4' 6-1/2" x 2' 2-5/8".

Too crowded for a walk-in closet? Or good enough given the space as a whole (bedroom/bath/closet)?

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone. It is much appreciated.

• Gigi_4321
    9 years ago

Something a little different. I couldn't figure out the exact measurement of your room, so, not sure if this would fit.
    You could put shallow storage on the left wall as you walk in.

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

you know gigi, that was my first thought too. but I couldn't get enough space for the toilet and tub to fit. might work with the shorter tub others have mentioned?

love how open this makes the space feel.

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

one more thought for gigi's plan ... instead of enclosing the toilet with walls - leave it open to the room, but turn the toilet so it's on the bottom wall (facing up)?

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosh, you guys... thank you so much! You know, when I was playing around with plans before going to my GC, I had drawn up something very similar except I had the shower and toilet switched (didn't want toilet near door to bedroom). But it made the shower too narrow (only about 3 feet wide which was less than it is now at 42"). This would be a bigger expense since it would mean moving the plumbing more (as drawn above, the fixtures are roughly in the same place as they are now). I'll have to ask my GC how much it would add to the cost to see if this might be feasible.

Thanks again!