Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for coolbeans

Posted by denali_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 9:56

I saw the bathroom you posted in the aging in place post. This is exactly what we are trying to do. I especially love your bench. Can you give the specifics of what you did? Do you have a larger picture? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for coolbeans

Hi Denali

Originally we had a 60" x 32" fiberglass shower/tub combo unit. When it was removed, we saw that there was over 6" of "dead space" that had been framed in to accommodate the 60" fiberglass unit. By removing that, we were able to increase the size of the replacement tiled shower to 66" x 36". That then led us to decide there would be enough space to do a long rectangular bench, rather than a corner one, which we felt was much more user-friendly and practical. We decided to make it 12" deep and 35" wide, which needed to be custom built.

Our tile contractor did the whole thing. The bench began as a a wooden slab that was attached to wall studs, then redguarded on all sides, and finally tiled on all sides. It is rock solid yet comfortable to sit on. It is slightly angled so that water runs off of it into the shower.

For people who don't choose to sit while showering, the bench is a nice place to keep a towel and sit while drying off.

I added some more pictures of the shower to my photobucket link. Holler if you have any more questions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall Bath Reno with Safe Shower

o

Clarification: He framed the bench in wood and then built the "slab" with cement board. Then it was red guarded and tiled.

o

Thanks so much for the information, Coolbeans. I really like your bench we only have a 60 " area and since DH removed the tub already, I can see that we have no hidden surprises.I agree about the corner bench. Thank you for sharing your photos. I loved the way the bathroom turned out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here