Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How wide should vanity light be? Two-light or three-light?

Posted by dianekathome (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 9:56

We are totally remodeling our master bath and I don't know if I should get a two-light or three-light fixture above each mirror. The plan shows a built-in mirror, but we are using two wall-hung mirrors. The mirrors are 31" wide by 43" high. The wall space where each mirror will be hung is 44" wide; the ceiling is 10' high; the height from the counter to the bottom of the molding on the center cabinet is 55". Should the vanity light above each mirror be smaller, about the same size or larger than the width of the mirror? And should the lights point up or down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How wide should vanity light be? Two-light or three-light?

I'd actually prefer more of a side light (wall sconce) versus a top-down (above the mirror) light.

You have about 6-1/2" inches between the mirror and the sidewall or pedestal cabinet. You can get a sconce in there.

I'd opt for a total of four wall sconces, each single bulb, mounted roughly around eye-level or slightly higher.

As far as the shade opening upwards or downwards, it depends on the installation height of the sconce. The goal is for the eyeball to not see a naked light bulb. Have the shade diffuse the light that the eye can see.

o

I think if you have the lights above the mirrors, that centered above them and should be smaller than the mirrors. Pointing up or down seems to be no wrong or right, simply a matter of personal preference. I think sometimes it depends on the light itself, some look better pointing up aand some look better pointing down.
( I have in my master bath two 3 light vanity lights pointing up above my mirrors, In my hall bath, I have a 3 light one pointing down. I like them both.I guess I was no help other than to say the light should be less wide than the mirrors.

o

It's really personal preference. I like mongo's suggestion best. However, I replaced two over mirror light fixtures (and did not wish to re-wire everything to do sconces on the side). I wanted to maximize the amount of light and selected the widest possible fixtures that were not wider than the vanity / pedestal sink. In both cases I went wider than the mirror. As mongo already said you don't want to be looking at a bare bulb, beyond that it's personal preference. I generally prefer lights that point up, but that's just me.

o

Can't answer about the lights - but what is the overall width of your vanity - we need to start planning and I want to do something similar (or get rid of the tub and have a his and hers vanity)
Thanks

o

If you only have lights above you, you will get shadows on your face...read that as darker circles under your eyes. Mongoct's idea looks very nice. Consider centering those recessed ceiling lights over each sink.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here