Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren674_gw

Before & After New Vintage Bath

lauren674
15 years ago

We are nearly there, just waiting for the shower door, tp holder, a few hooks. So, here's some before/afters. Its a very narrow bathroom so hard to get some pics, but here are a few 3 years aft we started:

Comments (17)

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Great job. I especially love your tile and your overhead light fixture.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

GREAT improvement. Nice work.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Yea; I've been waiting for your update!

I think my bath reno obsessions can be triaged, and medicine cabs, lighting, and sinks were high on the list. Love your choices, esp the console sink as I am partial yet "forbidden" from having one by someone who does not share the love. Seeing your pics, who could NOT love, ha?

Can you remind us of your bath dimensions? You know how "small bath folks" need all the inspiration they can find....

Congrats again -- I KNOW how happy you all must be.

ps I hope to be catching up to you soon...will stick an update in the shower glass thread.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Wow! That's an amazing transformation into a truly beautiful room! Details please...med cabinet, tile, sink, the works.

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shared pics with our son, who has made some good suggestions to change the radiators to black and the white wood trim to a Navaho white like the hallway trim, and get some chrome type electrical and light switch covers. This will tone down some of the bright whiteness of the room and maybe warm it up.

Lets see, the floor of the room is about 3 1/2 x 9...the shower is 2 1/2 x 5. I will post again in the finished gallery after we have the shower door (and repainted trim).

The sink and wash stand (console) are Herbeau Monarque, the faucet is Hudson Reed, toilet is Toto Dalton right height, the shower is a moen vertical spa package, and a whisper quiet panasonic fan, tile is K101 Daltile Rittenshouse square and 6" x 6" with a 1/2" black liner, hex tile is from American Universal Tile, light fixture over the sink is something from a big box store...can't remember, and the shelf and future tp holder are Linfield from Rejuvenation.

Ha, surprised myself remembering all these details!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful! Nice details. And I want to take a shower in your shower. :-)

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

ps If you can, post your follow-up in Pup's thread on using 6x6 with other tile sizes. Yours is such a great example of what kind of small bathroom and what kind of pattern does well with mixing!

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Well that's about a million times better! What a gorgeous job.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

Fantastic transformation!

Not to nitpick, but have you caulked the corners of the tile? (The photo of the wall behind the toilet)

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, tile is all finished, just the way the gray shows up in the photo.

Also, the medicine cabinet is from Van Dykes Restorers, and the overhead glass globe is vintage salvage, and the grout is Laticrete Smoke Gray. Still waiting for the Rejuvenation Linfield TP holder and towel ring.

The shower door final measurements are Friday, then it will be 2-3 weeks until the bathroom is really completed. In the meantime, decided to paint the ceiling silver sage and do some final touch-ups.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bathroom Remodel Pics.

• stw954
    15 years ago

If you don't mind sharing it, what color is your paint?

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention the paint color?? Its Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware.

• maow
    15 years ago

Gorgeous bathroom, I love your tile pattern, but am not brave enough to use black. May I ask if you are happy with the quality of the medicine cabinet from vandykes? Is it well made, are the shelves inside made of wood as well? I am looking for the same kind, but saw a lot of flimsy imitations.
    Any comments on it will be welcomed.

• happymommy
    15 years ago

That is absolutely amazing! Nice work! So classic!!!!

• kami411
    15 years ago

Beautiful Bathroom! I just love the vintage look. We are doing the same right now, for our master bath room and the main bathroom. My husband couldn't imagine what it would look like since we have only the sample tiles, octogonals and pedestal sink and its nice to see it all together in your pictures. What made you choose the vintage look? Our house was built in 1912 so I want that vintage look. I have a question about the light over the medicine cabinet, does it create a shadow? What did you put for the flooring of the shower? One bathroom we will have a standup shower.. so we will need something non slippery and other bathroom we will have the standard bath tub. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maow - We are very happy with the medicine cabinet. The quality is great. The mirror is beveled and the shelves are glass. Its very sturdy and solid.

Kami - Its very hard to imagine how it will all look and feel when planning the bathroom. I used a several inspiration bathrooms to help make decisions. Here are links to all three (first two are posters here, so don't think they will have issue):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/classicbath/IMG_1878.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/gal0120435821679.html&h=640&w=427&sz=102&hl=en&start=301&um=1&tbnid=8qQ3-hkgoZF87M:&tbnh=137&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbathroom%2Bsubway%2Btile%26start%3D288%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0207503029518.html

We wanted a vintage style in keeping with our teens-1920 era bungalow. But, we also wanted bath fixtures we'd enjoy, even though its a very small bathroom. We researched and ordered a lot online.

I have not noticed any shadow from the light over the medicine cabinet...with three lights in the bathroom and a dimming switch we have a lot of lighting choices.

The shower pan is fiberglass, with a textured floor...we really did not give a huge amount of thought to that purchase, basing it strictly on dimensions so now I'm hoping it holds up well. We have a tub in the upstairs bathroom, and DH had a very strong urge to stop taking showers in a tub.

I think that link kgwlisa's bathroom will help you visualize because she also used octagon floor tile.

Thank you all for your compliments and kind words!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bungalow Tile

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow that first link really made this whole post W I D E