Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Best Size Tub to Bathe Children?

Laurie
11 years ago

As I contemplate a renovation to our one main bathroom, the tub is one of my biggest issues.

Currently, I have a very old vintage tub in place, a regular plain old nice sized one. However, it's seen better days and has already been refinished at least once by the prior owner. I believe it was white originally, it's now black (yea, I know).

I have no idea if it's worth salvaging, I haven't gotten that far although many people who have seen it (here on this site, my prior boss who is an architect, etc.) have said try to if possible since it has nice lines. It is, a good sized tub, with low sides, which I like.

The thing is, both my partner and I never take baths so the main reason for keeping a tub is for resale value. We have a separate shower (although, possibly, I'm considering combining the two to save space).

I wouldn't even consider taking the tub out completely/putting in a new one. The only other "bathroom" in the house is a small powder room and there is absolutely no other place to put another bathtub. Not until I win the lottery and can renovate the attic at least!

So, of course, if I switch out the tub - which is pretty likely also, I want to find something which is going to be easy for parents to bathe a child in. I'll tell you - I look at most bathtubs these days and say to myself there is NO way they look like someone could reach over and safely keep a child steady. Many of them seem to have very high sides, and me, being short, well I know I wouldn't be able to handle reaching over a lot of them (no kids here - 53 years old, none coming lol).

I'm not interested in whirlpools, hot tubs, or anything like that at all. Just something nice, basic and easily accessible. It would be good to have it a decent length just in case an adult did want to take a soak of course. Price matters too - since we're not ever going to use it most likely.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know a lot about sinks and toilets, having purchased those before in this house and another home, but never had to deal with a bathtub before.

The only caveat would be my home was built in 1915, so I wouldn't be looking for anything "too" modern in appearance, not that it has to be old fashioned by any means.

Thanks in advance, for the help, as always!

Comments (4)