Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Which stone for vanity counter, soapstone or granite? Teen girl!

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

We're re-doing our 2nd bath, which has the unfortunate task of serving as both the main bathroom for family and guest, as well as the teenage daughter's bath. We want it to look great, but the materials also have to stand up to a teenager girl with the typical lotions, potions, nail polish, etc.

The vanity is an antique dresser we're modifying. Overall bathroom style is slightly vintage/slightly modern. If the choice was based solely on aesthetics and not upkeep, we'd choose a white or grey marble, but I have carerra kitchen counters and I know that we can't use it in this bathroom for etching/staining reasons!

So: we're going to looks at granite remnants this weekend. Probably a medium-light granite. Probably polished, since I suspect the remnants are mostly polished and it costs extra to get it honed....

Then I thought of soapstone. Maybe even DIY (we're handy.)

What do you think of soapstone in this situation? How indestructible will it be, how hard to keep looking good, compared to granite?

How hard is it, really, to drill, cut, and shape DIY? (it's only 36" long so not a huge piece to work with...)

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

Granite -- without a doubt. Get the hardest, darkest granite you can stand. A teen girl will use hair products, hair color, make up, lotions, etc -- and they WILL get on the counter!

(my college aged daughter is still at home, and honestly, her bath got a cultured marble 1 piece vanity top with 2 sinks. Kinda basic, but it cleans up well from anything. When she's finally moved out after college -- THEN a new granite top is going in that bath!)

• janine09
    13 years ago

I'm confused, is marble considered considered easier to clean than (light colored) granite then?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks pete.

janine.... marble is NOT a consideration. I have marble kitchen countertops and they are definitely not the right thing for a teenager's bathroom. Anything acid etches them. Marble is porous, so it's easy to stain. it scratches, and chips. It's GORGEOUS and I love it, but I would only consider it as a vanity counter in a bathroom that I knew only I and my husband would be using, very carefully..... definitely not for a guest bath or kids bath.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

I vote soapstone.

You can work it with woodworking tools. Carbide sawblades in a circular saw, carbide router bits in a router. Sand it with sand paper. Drill it with the same.

Some soaps are harder than others, but most can be scratched. But scratches can be sanded or buffed out.

Soapstone is non-porous.

Around a sink it will darken with exposure to water, so you can accelerate that with mineral oil, etc.

I think soapstone can fit into most decors, vintage or modern.

Pluses and minuses to both materials.

But be forewarned, I am biased, I much prefer the more subtle beauty of soapstone to granite.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, mongo... I much prefer soapstone (and marble!) to granite, as well! Granite always seems so cold to me, even honed. I showed my DD some soapstone pics and she loved them, so we're going to go for it! As far as DIY or not, can you tell me what you think about this?:
    A local place will sell me the piece cut to size, edges finished, and holes for faucet (and for drop-in sink) drilled for $150
    For them to do the undermount sink cutout, finished, is another $150. That makes me think that making the perfect oval shape and finishing it must be tricky, huh? Maybe it's worth the extra $150 to have the pro do it?

Either way, it's less than the remnant granite, all finished, I was considering! Yay!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I'm late but just for the record......I vote soapstone! It's used in high school chemistry labs, I'm sure it can stand up to a teenage girl's cosmetics and hair products :) It's impervious and would be sooooo appropriate for an antique dresser.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Unless you have all the tools already, including router bits, that's not a bad price. But you miss out on the adventure!

One bit that makes it easy is a top-bearing straight router bit, a "pattern-making" bit. Probably $40 give or take $10 depending on the size you get.

• Kelli Culpepper
    9 years ago

Stacynail, what did you end up doing for the countertop? We're planning our master in a 109 year old Victorian farmhouse. I just can't bring myself to putting granite in it. Love soapstone -going to use in kitchen and think it would be perfect in our bathroom. Thanks!

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

I am also getting ready to pick a countertop for my girl's room. Would a white quartz top be a safe/good choice?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have white quartz (ceasarstone Organic White) in my kitchen and two bathrooms, and so far (1 year in) nothing has stained them. Anything that needs a little more effort to remove comes off with a little Barkeepers Friend. I should add that we are NOT careful with the counters.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I think Stacey went with a remnant marble. She did a reveal post of this bathroom and it was great.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I just looked at an old post that Stacey responded to and she stated that she used a quartzite remnant. there is a picture of it on that thread, but I am looking for her reveal thread and will post it when I find it. But in the mean time this is Lavander's thread with a question about vanity, that Stacey responded to, showing her vanity installed. Stacey's post is part way down the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dresser for Vanity?

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan,

Thank you for the feedback regarding the quartz. I think that is what we will do!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County