Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lromelhardt

Master Bathroom Blank Slate Layout Ideas

lromelhardt
10 years ago

Hey Everyone,

So my husband and I are getting ready to gut and renovate our master bathroom. We just finished building a walk-in-closet in the bedroom which allowed us to add the hallway of wall closets to our bathroom space. I'm so excited to finally have a bathroom that is big enough for two people! But...the layout of our new bathroom space is kind of strange. We have been staring at the layout for a while now and have come up with one decent layout but it just seams like there has to be something better. I was hoping that a couple pairs of fresh eyes could give us some recommendations and ideas!

With that being said, we have a completely blank slate. :-) We really only have one restriction, the entryway from the bedroom is on the left wall, the door (if a door at all) needs to be in in the boxed in area due to a cold air return. The door could open in, open out, pocket/sliding door, or no door at all.

Our goal is to get a double vanity (or two separate ones), toilet, and good sized shower in here. We are open to ALL ideas, open/doorless showers, walls/objects in the middle of the room, whatever else you can think of!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Would you like a separate tub and shower? If so, what size and features for each? This is a tough layout. But you could put a tub under the window and do an open shower along the 8'4" wall and make it a wet room. Maybe put in glass that spans those 2 walls.

As you enter the room put a single vanity on the 14' wall and a matching one across from it in the 2'6" nook.

I'm sure others will also post some suggestions a it seems so many people here like a challenge!

{{!gwi}}

• lromelhardt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We actually don't want a tub at all, we have a tub in the guest bath and aren't bath people so we figured we would be better off spending the money on a nice big shower!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

We are just starting our remodel, too and and ours is almost exactly the same but squared off, 7'10" x 13' 3". We also took down a wall to make it that big. It seems like it would be easy enough to get a nice layout but it's not easy is it? We went through at least 6 iterations and we are still tweaking.

Hopefully, the layout will show up this time. I put the toilet in the old hallway space. I don't think there's quite enough room for a separate water closet. then you can use the rest of that area for towels and linens.

I would use a pocket door for the entrance, put a 6' foot double vanity on the long wall and use the whole back section for a 2 person shower. You could run tile all the way up and across the ceiling, put a big rainshower head in the center, body sprays, hand held showers.

Since there is only the one window you might want to get more light in the space. Can you put in skylights? Maybe in the section between the vanity and toilet area? It could be really nice!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Here's another option

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

How about combining Lotteryticket and Williamsen's ideas. Use a pocket door. If you want a linen cabinet, you could make one of the vanities smaller.

• lromelhardt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! It looks like the consensus is to put the shower at the end, that was our thought too.

Our best layout idea was similar to williamsem's but I was concerned that it would feel small blocking off the toilet, but we do want the toilet a concealed a bit.

I like Lotteryticket's layout, we don't want to feel like you are walking into the toilet and I think that a storage tower would definitely help with that.

I also like Karenseb's idea, tons of storage!! But with only 4 feet between the two vanities do you think we would be bumping butts if we were brushing our teeth at the same time?

As far as skylights go, we are doing this project ourselves and we have engineered trusses, we could probably tackle skylights but haven't thought too much about it. It would be nice to get some additional natural light in there, definitely something for us to investigate.

A little off topic but, what are your thoughts on heated floors? We live in south-eastern Michigan and are considering heated floors but I'm concerned that it will be a waste of money. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Well, over in Kitchens 48 inches is considered enough for a "2 butt" kitchen, so I would think it is fine in the bathroom. You could offset the sinks to ensure more room, plus that would make storage more efficient.

I don't have a heated floor. But it seems like everyone here that does loves it! I think there was a thread just recently, try skimming down the first 2-3 pages of threads.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I think 48" is plenty of room. Williamsem's suggestion to offset the sinks is a great idea. The toilet placement is what we are also struggling with in our plan. I think in most of the layouts you could put in a knee wall (4"wide?) next to the toilet. That would screen it off a bit and give you a spot for the t.p. holder.

We have wood or vinyl in our bathrooms. Both are comfortable to me and we live in northern Massachusetts. But if we go with tile in our new MB then we will definitely put in heated floors. the one place in the house (mud room) that has tile can be brutal when it's below zero on a cold winter morning.