Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone vs. latex caulk rules around shower?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:34

I am about to engage my installer on why there is a hole where my shower floor meets the curb wall & I am afraid 4.5 months in, this will only get worse.

Can some1 help me locate an online link to the TCNA reference that points to using silicone caulk vs grout to join between a change in planes please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone vs. latex caulk rules around shower?

o
RE: Silicone vs. latex caulk rules around shower?

Thank you mongoct!

I had missed this particular nugget in my research to prep my defense against their excuses:

Technically, anywhere there is a change in substrate or backing surface such as the joint between walks and floor and wall joint, caulk should be used in place of grout since these surfaces move independently of each other. However, it is important to recognize and make the end user aware of some important points.

Often, installers use grout in place of caulk for these reasons:

* The caulk may not exactly match the grout color.
* Even when the caulk exactly matches the grout color when installed, it may not match six months later (caulk will "age" differently from the grout).
* Caulk will need to be maintained more often than grout.
* Mold may grow more easily on caulk (except caulk treated with mildewcide) than on grout.
* Acrylic caulks break down in horizontal wet applications. Silicone, urethane, or multi-polymer caulks are better choices but can be harder to apply.

However, when grout is used in place of caulk, the grout can cause structural and aesthetic problems.

* The grout will crack allowing moisture to penetrate.
* Where the grout is sufficiently strong, movement in the walls, floor, or countertop can damage the tile.
* Grout cannot hide corner cuts as well as caulk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here