Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin1727

Master Bath finally finished.

kevin1727
15 years ago

We haven't decorated yet, but we are moved in and enjoying the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath Photos

Comments (38)

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

Very pretty! Love the tiles on the shower wall, and your unexpected use of the smaller tiles on the tub surround. The warm colors are gorgeous. The Marazzi Jade Sage looks like a beautiful slate - I had to google it and found it's a porcelain. Wow! So pretty! Enjoy!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

It looks very nice. I like your wall color, too. Can you share what it is?

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Where did you get your vanity?

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. It is a personal design and doesn't match any particluar style, so I took a risk getting what pleases me.
    Here are the details. The only things I wish I would have done differently are to use different cabinet hardware and use color body tile. Those bar handles just look too busy on all those small cabinet doors and drawers and the edges of the tiles are too revealing that they are not real slate.

Cabinets - Armstrong, Arborcrest in cherry with cinnamon stain.
    Lights - George Kovacs.
    Medicine Cabinet - Nutone, 24x36 oval Mdl 1358.
    Paint - Valspar, Filoli Ballroom.
    Interior Door - full glass covered with DecorativeFilms.com window film "Ice Forest".
    Sink - Decolav, 1411.
    Faucet - Porcher, Iperbole Monoblock.
    Granite - Local installer who deals in unidentified partial slabs.
    Tile - Marazzi, Jade Sage porcelain.
    Ironing Center - NuTone, AVD50N.
    Fixtures - Danze, Parma.
    Tub - Sanijet 710.
    Toilet - Toto Ultramax.

• ritamay91710
    15 years ago

Really nice!! Love the slate!

• busybme
    15 years ago

Kevin, your bathroom has so many things that I like and want to share with my DH that I not only printed off a bunch of your pictures, but bookmarked your page!

I have already been shopping for full-glass doors but was planning to order one with a patterned glass. How did you find the film to work with? Did you DIY and does it look professional? Ours will be on a pocket door.

Thanks for posting your results...they are fabulous!

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi busybme,
    I did the window film myself. This was my first time, but I didn't think it was too much trouble. It looks really nice. Most people think it is patterned glass. If you look closely, you can see where I got little fibers under the film. I have another door to do. It is also a pocket door. I plan to spend a lot of time cleaning the door and get some help positioning the film so it doesnÂt touch anything except the glass when I place it. I took the door off the hinges and placed it flat on saw horses when I put on the film.

• gpwuster
    15 years ago

Nice! Like the glass door and the rest...of course!

• marisany
    15 years ago

What a wonderful result! My sympathies on the unpleasant surprises, and the months of upheaval, but what a sophisticated and serene room you have now!

• happymommy
    15 years ago

I love it!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love the tile . . . we're looking at something from that manufacturer ourselves! Congratulations on a job well done!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom so much. Thanks for sharing. I love the tile also that looks so much like real slate.

• emilynewhome
    15 years ago

It's just beautiful! It must be a pleasure to bathe and shower in there!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Kevin,

very nice- just a quick question... is the granite edging on your shower the same or different from your counter top?

And, could you please tell me what size your shower is? Looks similar to what we're planning in the basement, with pony walls topped with glass.

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi raehelen, The granite edging is the same. It is just a squared edge with radius corners. I think it is called an "eased" edge. The radius on the countertop is more than the radius on the shower, but then the granite isn't the same either. The granite shop I used only has remnants. I got Level 3 granite for the price of level 1.

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops... the shower is about 4-1/2 x 5 feet. The size was determined by how it aligned with the existing glass block.

• thetews
    15 years ago

Your bathroom is really beautiful. I love the sinks, the shower, the floor, and the door the most. It's all lovely.

• funnycide
    15 years ago

Your new bathroom looks very nice. Question about the shower controls, why did you not locate them below the shower head? Is it for a cleaner look? Do you find it inconvinent to have reach down behind you to adjust the temperature while you are taking a shower?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Excellent all over! Funny that I happened to see this, because we're preparing to put on a decorative films film on a door this very evening. any more details you'd want to share on the process will be most gratefully received.

I really do love your choices, btw.

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi funnycide,
    My last shower control was under the shower head. Whenever I adjusted the valve, I always stood to the side so I wasn't shocked by the water temperature change, but it was difficult to stand to the side and adjust without being partially in the spray. The control was corroded and kept getting mildew under the knob. I wanted an easy way to reach into the shower and turn it on without stepping inside before the water warmed. I decided having the controls away from the shower head should solve all those issues.

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Beautiful! The "glass" in the entry door is a really cool touch. Wow that it is a film.

• ummm
    15 years ago

beautiful!

I'm considering using jade sage tiles as well - how do you like it so far after 7 months? in terms of upkeep etc? thanks!

• mrslimestone
    15 years ago

Very nice. I like the pattern you used on the floor and the paint color.

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Upkeep has been really easy. I sealed the grout with two coats of premium sealer. Nothing sticks to the porcelain and it hides dirt well. Our light colored tile in the rest of house starts looking dirty within minutes of cleaning.
    I like that we can have friends visit and the bathroom floor isn't showing footprints before the night is over.

• ummm
    15 years ago

thanks for the fast response! glad to hear it hides dirt well :)

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

the water controls - exactly! I noticed my sister had theirs put just inside the door of the shower also and asked her why - same thing. one is to the handheld - which she said she wanted to be able to turn it on before she got in... makes so much sense that i will do the same when I redo my mstr bath later this year.

I hate getting in and the water's too hot and i have to get into the hot water (or too cold) to change it. In mine there is no 'standing to the side'! lol!

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Kevin, how are the Danze Parma accessories holding up? I am trying to get some info about these for someone.

Would appreciate your feedback. I saw that someone mentioned needing to mount the toilet paper holder on a stud (Amazon) comment. Do you think that's necessary?

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Danze Parma are doing fine so far. The chrome plate seems very heavy. The handles are attached to the trim and valve body instead of hanging from the valve stem like the old shower controls I am used to. The same for the tub filler. I think they will hold up well. Of course, I am still babying them and drying everything after every shower.
    The only thing that bothers me is the tub spray wand. When I increase the water flow, the tub spray wand jumps and the water flow stops and restarts quickly. It causes some water hammer noise. Nothing leaks from the spray wand, but I am not used to seeing that. If you donÂt get a spray wand on the tub filler it shouldnÂt be an issue.
    Kevin

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Fabulous space! A real treat to eyes, and I am sure very comfortable to live in.

Love the colors and esp the slate tile choice. Everything ties together really well! Enjoy!!

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mariposa,
    I forgot something. I mounted the TP hanger on the wallboard using the plastic anchors supplied, but one of our guests used it as a support and pulled it loose. It also bent the hanger a little. I moved the hanger so it wasn't so likely to be leaned upon and attached it to a stud. It was easy to straighten too. I think the plastic anchor would be fine for normal use with good wallboard, but there is no substitute for mounting to wood. A couple of my towel hangers are mounted with one side to a stud and one side with the same plastic anchor and mounting method and they are fine.
    danzefaucetwarehouse has all the spec sheets for Danze faucets.
    Kevin

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Kevin, thanks for your prompt response. I think the only items my friend was interested in were the toilet paper holder, towel rack and a robe hook, so she should be safe. I have never tried Danze so couldn't advise her. Other than what happened with the sprayer, you seem to be pleased overall with the finish and quality? I saw the comments on Amazon where folks were saying these holders were heavy and seemed of good quality. Oh, I forgot to compliment you on your MB! Lovely job.

• neesie
    14 years ago

Wow-za! You're my kind of guy....when you do something you really go all out and do it. Great job!

• adi1972
    14 years ago

Wow- you did a great job- i like it!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Hi Kevin,

We're considering the Danze Parma for an upstairs bath for our daughter -- how are you feeling about the finish/function at this point, if you would share? We'd be doing brushed nickel rather than chrome, but still I'd value your input.

thanks!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Ach, also forgot to ask -- is there a functional reason you didn't go with the Parma lav faucet? I really like the look of the lav faucet you chose to go with the gorgeous sink (I love both of those looks, actually -- is the sink semi-recessed or entirely counter-sitting?) -- is that why you chose a different faucet? or is there something functional about the Parma you didn't like? TIA again :)

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi flyleft,
    I am very pleased with the Danze Parma. The Roman tub faucets and shower controls have a smooth solid feel when they are operated. I also have the TP hanger and towel hangers. Those all are doing fine too.
    My wife saw the Porcher lav faucet on a display with the oval sink at HD Expo and fell in love with it, so I splurged and bought those $$$ Porchers instead. Otherwise I had planned to use the Danze Parma there too. I did substitute another brand sink that was almost identical but much less expensive than the one HD Expo used.
    The sink is entirely on top of the counter.
    The Porcher is a really nice faucet although it is a little hard to turn off when your hands are wet. The control is a bit small and the smooth chrome is slippery.
    I do like that I can operate the control while my hands are still under the faucet and dripping into the sink instead of on top of the faucet.

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope you have checked out danzefaucetwarehouse. (Prices are cheaper in the cart) They beat everyone in price and service. I had to exchange a broken part and they overnighted it to me at no extra charge. A great company.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Kevin -- thanks! Extremely helpful. I never really understood that Porcher faucet (the functionality of it) until you described it just now. Sounds like if they can make the control better, it's a *really smart*, almost "duh!" improvement over the usual over-the-spout arrangement. I also love the picture of the 'symphony of ovals' :), meant to say that...

And I'll check out Danzefaucetwarehouse--thanks for that too. Prices are very important, of course, but service is what really makes you feel good about a company. Congratulations again :)