Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Shower seat/chair in fiberglass tub safe?

californiaplaya
12 years ago

I have someone staying with me who has a difficult time taking a shower. We have discussed the idea of getting a shower chair - just one of the simple portable medical grade ones to help her. I am concerned that a chair with thin metal (aluminum I assume) legs in the fiberglass tub with all the weight concentrated on the small legs may cause it to make holes in the tub. The person that would be using it is not big by any means at 140 pounds. Of course I could build some sort of base for it to spread the weight out more evenly, but then I'm concerned that may jeopardize the safety.

Do I have reason to be concerned about this at all, or are my concerns unfounded? What is making me think about this is that usually when I take a shower in a fiberglass stall, it seems like it flexes a bit where I'm standing, and these tubs are usually pretty thin. But then again, at 5'11" 225lbs, I'm a big boy, but I wouldn't be using this chair either. I just want to make sure my tub doesn't get punctured. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)