Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Need Instructions on How to Mount a Threshold at the Doorway.

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 7:04

Once again I need help:) I'd like help with problem solving my threshold installation. I haven't been able to find much information about installing one. I was told by the tile shop to use some sort of glue to place it. That didn't sound right so I only half remembered their instructions.

I will be laying a tile warming system with self leveling compound. I anticipate about 3/8" to 1/2" depth of SLC. That's a guess, as I have never done this before. Correct me if I'm off base. Then the following layers will be the thinset+ditra. Then thinset+gauged slate tile. My threshold is a 3/4" thick piece of black marble. I think the threshold will be too thick if I lay it on top of the SLC. I don't want it sitting too high, causing a lip and tripping risk. So, should I put it on top of the SLC or block out the SLC from this threshold area? Then I would set the threshold on top the plywood underlayment where I would then set a strip of Ditra instead of the SLC.

Second, would I grout the edge of the threshold to the tiles or caulk the edge to the tiles? I know this isn't a change of plane but I am wondering about caulk vs grout at this location.

I would be very appreciative of any help on this detail. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Need Instructions on How to Mount a Threshold at the Doorwa

I mount my thresholds on whichever material puts them on an acceptable level with the tile. I use thinset.

I have used both grout and grout caulk in the gap between. I like grout better because I never get an exact match with grout caulk. As long as my gap is similar to my tile grout width it seems to work fine. If my threshold is a dissimilar material (I once had to make an oak threshold) then I use grout caulk to allow expansion of the wood.

o

If you want the threshold flush with the tile but can't figure the thickness of the SLC, then screw down a 2x4 in place of the threshold. Put a slip sheet on the edge of the 2x4 that the SLC will touch. You can simply wrap the 2x4 in plastic, then screw it on place. The plastic will be the slip sheet.

Pour the SLC. Do the Ditra. Tile. Then unscrew the 2x4, the plastic will act as a release to prevent and SLC or thinset from sticking to it.

You're total thickness, SLC-to-slate, will probably be around 1" to 1-1/8" or so. To get the 3/4" threshold even, you'd need to bed it in 1/4" thick to 3/8" thickness of thinset. That'll work. If you need to go thicker, then you can move away from thinset to another setting material, as thinset shrinks a bit when it cures. That's why it's called "thin" set. It's used in "thin" layers, so to speak. There are other bedding materials for thicker applications.

Or you could do two thicknesses of thinset. Do a 1/4" layer. Let it cure. The next day set the threshold.

I'd caulk the seam between the threshold and the tile since they are on different substrates, so to speak. But you could grout it if needed. You might get some cracking, but it shouldn't be significant.

o

Thanks to the both of you! Thinset it is then, without the SLC underneath.

Hags00, good to know about the color match for caulk and if using dissimilar materials.

Mongoct, thanks for the supportive instructions! Perfect!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here