Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

I Need Instructions on How to Mount a Threshold at the Doorway.

enduring
11 years ago

Once again I need help:) I'd like help with problem solving my threshold installation. I haven't been able to find much information about installing one. I was told by the tile shop to use some sort of glue to place it. That didn't sound right so I only half remembered their instructions.

I will be laying a tile warming system with self leveling compound. I anticipate about 3/8" to 1/2" depth of SLC. That's a guess, as I have never done this before. Correct me if I'm off base. Then the following layers will be the thinset+ditra. Then thinset+gauged slate tile. My threshold is a 3/4" thick piece of black marble. I think the threshold will be too thick if I lay it on top of the SLC. I don't want it sitting too high, causing a lip and tripping risk. So, should I put it on top of the SLC or block out the SLC from this threshold area? Then I would set the threshold on top the plywood underlayment where I would then set a strip of Ditra instead of the SLC.

Second, would I grout the edge of the threshold to the tiles or caulk the edge to the tiles? I know this isn't a change of plane but I am wondering about caulk vs grout at this location.

I would be very appreciative of any help on this detail. Thanks!

Comments (3)