Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Should you mount towel bars on tile walls?

pinktoes
16 years ago

We're doing several baths with porcelain ceramic tile 2/3 of the way up the walls. Towel rods will need to be mounted within the tiled area. Am I confused or can you use standard metal rods on the tile? If so, how do you change the mounting to get a secure hold through the tile's thickness?

Our old ceramic tile baths all had those porcelain base towel rods stuck onto the tile. Don't know if they even make those anymore.

Comments (10)

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

The screws on the towel bars I have seems plenty long to go through tile and backer for the tile I am using, but you could probably take the screws to home depot and get longer versions of the same screws if you need to. You just need to drill with the right bit to get through porcelain (can be time consuming with how hard porcelain is though). While you have the walls open, plan for where you are going to put them and add blocking so you can screw right into studs and not mess around with anchors, which may not work so well with the extra thickness.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

"Our old ceramic tile baths all had those porcelain base towel rods stuck onto the tile. Don't know if they even make those anymore."

Lenape is one manufacturer of grouted-in towel bars, and Eclectic-Ware is one online dealer. Home Depot can order some items if you have all the information (part #s, color codes, etc.) Local tile stores should have other brands.

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnmari: thanks for the Lenape lead. These were so practical and durable. I might at least put them in the washroom and hobby room baths.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Dal and AO also carry ceramic towel bar posts.

As for the metal ones, especially if you're going over porcelain tile, you might want to make sure you hit grout joints with the screws, and if need be, cut the bar itself down a couple of inches to make it work. Porcelain is incredibly difficult to drill through without cracking it. Not impossible, but it ain't easy!!

• teachbls
    16 years ago

uh-oh, now I'm too nervous to install my RH towel racks, shower baskets, and toilet paper holder in my subway tile wainscot. Has anybody done it successfully (i.e., without cracking the tile)? Any pointers you'd care to share?

Thanks, as always.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Use the correct carbide tipped bit and go slow (the 'spear' tipped ones actually work well if used carefully).
    If the bit is sharp it will go through the stuff without problems.
    Do not use water or try to cool things.
    It can crack the bit and the tile.
    If you can get all the way through the wall use a molly anchor (remove the little 'barbs' designed to hold in drywall and use a setting tool.
    The molly spreads the load out on the backer board better.
    Minor chipping will be covered by the bar end decoration.

• Denise Renieri
    5 years ago

We used a diamond drill bit which was about $15 from home depot. We were able to drill through porcelain tile with no problems nor cracking.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Why are you pulling up an 11 year old thread?

• Barb Sarver
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I appreciate your reply!!! My apt bathroom is all cheapo tile and I have no idea where to put the towel ring, let alone how to avoid chipping tile because of lack of bits. Should have come here first. Tile is chipped. Thanks again