Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weep Holes Clogged?

Posted by mikec_dsm (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 5:34

Im seeing water leaking out of our shower and it appears to be coming from where the granite saddle attaches to the frame. It happens when the shower is used repeatedly or if the wife takes one of her longer showers. Is it possible the weep holes are clogged? I notice where the floor meets the floor mildew grows fast. Is there a way of testing this theory? Is there a fix for this without tearing out the entire floor?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weep Holes Clogged?

Yes, there is. Simply chop out the floor from around the drain. If you find alot of water holding in the mud of the pan, that's your problem, and you need to clear the weepholes, put a little gravel around them, remud it, and re tile the patch. If you DON'T find alot of water holding in the mud,, you may have to think about taking out the rest of the shower pan and redoing it, as well as about a foot to 18" up the walls.

Photobucket

If this were a result of clogged weepholes, you would see that hole in the floor fill up quick with water.

o

Bill, that shower looks awfully familiar....heh, heh, heh..

o

Bill, your weep holes are not clogged...your DRAIN is clogged! With duct tape! Oh, stacey, poor stacey.

It ain't easy being a diagnostic genius like me!! <8^)

o

Where were all you Einsteins when I had the problem????? LMAO

See Stacey? That's all we needed to do-- take the tape off the drain!! :-)

o
I agree with Mongo

Mongo I think found the problem.

Looks like the setter left the tape protection over the drain. A common mistake for "First Years".

:)

What was the solution?

o

I took all the tile up, surface waterproofed it with Ultraset, but did not bring the coating up tight to the drain (so that water that got under the marble could drain back into the weepholes below), I also popped another 4 weepholes into the base of the drain, and retiled.

o
Ultraset Waterproofing

What's your take on Ultraset Bill?

I have not used it before. Is a one step or multi stepped process?

JW

o

One step. No vapor barrier required for steam showers. I'll swear by it. Before Kerdi, it was the only thing I'd use for steam showers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here