Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

OK, I'm pretty much sold on Toto, but...

cynic
12 years ago

I'm not finding everything I want. Either I'm looking for too much or not looking in the right spot.

1) ADA height - must have

2) Prefer 1 piece, but not a dealbreaker

3) Elongated bowl - highly desireable

4) Fully skirted - strongly desired but seems to be an issue

5) Not sure about the SanaGloss, might be nice.

6) Want to avoid the Drake - seems pretty controversial so I'll spend a few bucks more and get something that more seem happy with but I might be convinced otherwise.

1.6 gal. is fine, No advantage to me to go less than that. Dual flush is not anything special to me either.

Was looking at Vespin, Carlyle, Carolina and UltraMax. UltraMax seems to be the only one of these that have ADA height though unless I'm misreading something.

Got a plumber who's endorsing Gerber Viper & Avalanche. I'm hesitant after reading they were bought out and now made in China. Or am I overlooking a potential here?

Also a bit confused on some terminology. On the terrylove site the Dartmouth and Clayton say: "Meets the American Disabilities Act Guidelines and ANSI A117.1 requirements where installed so top of rim is 17"-19" from the finished floor"

So, I'm not sure what this means. Some sort of spacer to raise it up?

I now understand peoples' quandary over a place to sit and ponder...

Comments (10)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Toto Soiree is ADA, elongated, skirted and one piece. Comes with Sanaglosss. I think Guinevere is the same.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Another endorsement for the Soiree (and Toto as a company). It might not meet your criteria for "fully skirted"--the back portion is not covered by the skirt (yeah, it does seem silly to me, too!), but it's still very easy to clean. Also, you can no longer get it in 1.6 gal (all 3 of ours are), but I think posts here re: the 1.28 gal have been positive.

Our three had shipped prior to Toto's modification of their Unifit (to address drip noise post-flush). Not only did they send us 3 new-style Unifits at no charge, they also sent a check to help defray the plumber's cost to uninstall/re-install the 2 Soirees thus far installed. I like companies that "do the right thing." :-)

• cynic
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Soiree. I'm having trouble finding a local dealer so I imagine I'll probably order online but then is the issue of finding a plumber who'll install my toilet. One guy I talked to said he doesn't install them. How difficult can it be? Sheesh, I assume the installation is pretty much the same on all of the major brands. But I think part is that they don't get the markup on the fixture too. Argh.

• Emily
    12 years ago

We just put the Soiree in our powder room and love it! It meets all your requirements., ADA height, 1 piece, fully skirted, etc. It is a bit of a tricker install than your basic run of mill toilet, however if you get a plumber who really knows what he is doing there should be no problem. Another nice thing about the Soiree is that it comes with a toilet seat, so it is a perfect seamless looking fit. If you have to order it online you might want to look at homeclick.com. They are an authorized retailer of toto products. We almost did that but our plumber got us a great deal from a local supply place that was about the same price. Hope this helps.

• Emily
    12 years ago

I didn't read cat mom's post before I posted but she is right the skirt doesn't go fully around the back but since I can't see it back there, I still think of it as fully skirted. Oh, and we have the 1.28 gal and have had no issues at all. It works great!

• tikatoo
    12 years ago

Ours not installed yet but the Carlyle 11 Model # MS614114CEF(G) is one piece, elongated bowl, ADA, skirted, Sani Gloss, etc. Not sure if back is open - it's still in the box!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Still not sure which toilet to get. I thought I was set on Toto until I read about American Standard on GW. I'm considering American Standard Champion 4, check it out on the home depot website. It is a 2 piece, has a 4 inch valve, 1.6 GPF, elongated seat, comfort height, & everclean surface (sounds equivalent to Toto Sanagloss). Even comes with a soft close seat for $234.

• suska6184
    12 years ago

Love, love, love our 1.28 gal Soiree. Have had it in for about 4 months. Plan to buy 2 more as replacements in other bathrooms eventually.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

cynic writes: 1.6 gal. is fine, No advantage to me to go less than that. Dual flush is not anything special to me either.
    Was looking at Vespin, Carlyle, Carolina and UltraMax. UltraMax seems to be the only one of these that have ADA height though unless I'm misreading something.

We have a Vespin II, installed eight months ago. It is ADA height, skirted, and it uses 1.28 gallons per flush; it flushes completely time after time. It is a good solution for our needs. But it is a two-piece.

If you want a stylish one-piece that has every technological innovation that any Toto has, look at the Inax Dover. Inax is the #2 market share toilet maker in Japan, and is the innovation pioneer in the world's most competitive toilet market. Most of the features in Toto toilets appeared first in an Inax model in Japan.

Among others, Terry Love (with whom you are familiar) sells the Inax Dover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inax Dover: it looks good, too

• cynic
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your input. Decisions, decisions.