Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Nice deep simple bathtub without the bells & whistles?

Help, can anybody direct me to a manufacturer who makes a nice deep, extra-long, drop-in bath tub that does NOT have whirlpool jets, air-bubblers, a built-in stereo systems, or any other bells and whistles???

I detest taking a bath in a tub with jets even when the jets turned off. It is probably all in my mind but I feel like the jets can never REALLY be cleaned from the last user. It's a weird phobia, I know but...

I'm alreadying planning to put a clawfoot tub in another of my bathrooms but wanted a different look for this one. Would very much prefer the tub be enameled steel or cast iron rather than acryllic but will take what I can get. Needs to be 66" or longer with a depth of at least 15" (deeper is better). No whirlpool/spa jets. No air bubblers. Nada.

Thanks,

Comments (19)

• homepro01
    16 years ago

There are a ton of options. For cast iron, look at Toto bathtubs. Americh, Bain Ultra and Kohler all make tubs to name just a few. Take a look at their website and over 90% of the tubs are offered without any whistles. I like the Bain Ultra Origami and Amma. I think I am going to order the Amma for my bathroom.

Good luck!

• thegoose
    16 years ago

I just ordered the Aquatic Hotsoak 77 (24" deep). It has very clean lines, but does have one interesting "whistle". It has an inline heater that keeps the water warm for hours.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

You are overlooking something, bevangel--all the tubs at Americh (and Maax, for instance, and many others) can be made as "soaking tubs only". They *show* you the model with chromatherapy etc., but you can get *just the tub* if you want. We got a Maax Melodie tub only and I LOVE it.

I highly recommend sitting in tubs (don't be shy :)) before you buy them. Ergonomics is all in a tub, IMO. Makes the difference between whether you feel good when you get out or if you feel somewhat achy and unable to relax. Americh makes great tubs--we were considering the Quantum (two-sided, nice ergonomics). The melodie won, though, can't remember why now, but there's a 72" Maax that would have been *the* most wonderful, if we'd had 72" of space.

Go sit in tubs! :)

• teachbls
    16 years ago

Hey, there -

We have a cast iron "tea-for-two" from Kohler. No jets! Plenty deep! Happy shopping -

• romarun01
    16 years ago

I agree with flyleft - it is really important to go sit in the tubs.

My DH and I are both around 6' tall, and it was really important to me to be able to stretch out my legs without touching the other end of the tub, as well as be able to bend my knees and still keep them underwater.

I also don't like the noise and maintenance etc required for a bubbly tub, so I too went searching for a 'soaking tub'. As you shop, you'll find that many of the bubbly tubs also come in a 'soaking' version, that is, without the bells and whistles.

We're undermounting ours, and are both looking forward to enjoying the one we chose, it's by MTI. You can also play with the search options on their website to find what you need.

We paid about $1200 for it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MTI New Yorker

• homepro01
    16 years ago

bevangel,
    Flyleft is correct. Although they may show them as tubs with bells and whistles, they all pretty much come as tub only.
    Thegoose ordered a tub with a inline heater which does not move the water in and out of the tub with the tub wall has a heating mechanism in it. There are several manufacturers that do this. Also check out Trajet.

If you need a reason to go to San Diego, CA, stop over at Tubz and you can get to sit in such a large variety of tubs.

Good luck!

• heimert
    16 years ago

teachbls -- how did you get the tea for two in? I like it, and it's one of the few cast iron 6 foot tubs. But at nearly 500 lbs, I'm guessing my contractor won't be cool with it.

• kdockrey
    16 years ago

From my understanding, A tub with the in-line heater option has to include the jet or bubble option. The water has to circulate through the heater in order to maintain its temperature.

• budge1
    16 years ago

We told our contractor up front we were only considering cast iron and he should budget for the guys to lift it in and up our narrow staircase. They cursed us, but laughed while they did it - even the guy who dropped his end on his toe and later lost his toenail.

We got a Toto and are thrilled with it.

• thull
    16 years ago

Don't know if budget is an issue at all (since that Tea for Two is awesome, but pricey). We don't use our tub that much, and we ended up putting in a Kohler K-1148 Proflex acrylic soaker. It is ample and was relatively inexpensive, letting us put that $$ into other areas of the remodel.

• hmg58
    16 years ago

The Aquatic Hotsoak also comes without the in line heater. Like you we didn't want any of the "bells and whistles" since we never used them. Our tub, Aquatic Serenity Studio 19 Tub only, measures 66x36x24.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquatic tub

• teachbls
    16 years ago

Hey, OP -

Our contractor hoisted the tub up through the window opening of the new Master Bath; our master bath is on the second level of a two story addition to our old house(1902).

They used the same scaffolding that they'd erected for use in doing the new clapboards. It was really quite a sight. I had to hold my breath for a good bit of it; I was terrified that the scaffolding would not hold the weight of the tub and the four men!

Good luck -

• mom4cw
    16 years ago

We remodeling our last house a few years ago and put in a Kohler Mariposa 6' soaking tub. No bells & whistles but a really comfortable bathtub! We moved to a new town and are in the midst of renovating this house. I plan to put the same tub in here too.

• jane4444
    15 years ago

Mom4cw....I'm thinking about putting in the 6' Mariposa in my bathroom renovation but I can't find one to sit in before I order it. Can you tell me if it feels deep and confining--I can't tell from the pictures--are the armrests cumbersome? Also is the back slant/lumbar support awkward? Thanks for any advice! Jane

• ccc123
    15 years ago

Check out the ZUMA website. Great tubs.

• jane_jj
    13 years ago

Acrylic - American Standard Green Tea 6' x 36" Bathtub 3573.002.020 (in white)

Americast - American Standard Stratford 5-1/2" Bathtubs 2470.002.020 (in white)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathtubs

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.

• cinlau
    6 years ago

thegoose - does your hotsoak keep the bathroom warm for more than 30 mins? I read that it is suppose to be quiet, aka, doesn't work like a jet, to keep the water warm. But the device still needs to be powered somehow. Any pointers appreciated!