Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for advice on the choices of granites on espresso cabinet

Posted by wongjack (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 0:27

I'm looking for a kind of granite which can go well with my JAVA cabinet and oil-rubbed faucets in my master bathroom. I'm thinking of santa cecilia and giallo ornamental due to the budget issue....(you might notice that these two granites are in "the same price group") However, it looks like santa cecilia has several variations and it's hard to tell which one fits better by only looking at a small piece of the sample provided by the builder. What kind of granite would you suggest to go with my with my JAVA cabinet and oil-rubbed faucets? I'm also thinking of creamy or white granites, but am afraid they won't match my bronze faucets and accessories.....Please advise and visuals are very helpful if any. Thanks very much!

This post was edited by wongjack on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 0:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for advice on the choices of granites on espresso cab

Do you live in a large town or city? Even though your builder is only providing a small sample, you should be able to see larger pieces or even full counters of both those granites at kitchen cupboard places or granite yards.

You said in your other posting that you don't know how to negotiate with the builder. I understand that sometimes they can come across as pretty inflexible in their allowances and their upcharges. But, if you came in to a meeting with a couple of other quotes for those granites I would think he would be open to hearing your argument for a price break on his $1400 quote. I think that $1400 EXTRA for a counter of those relatively common granites is higher than you should have to pay. The first house that we had built (we were in our twenties, our builder was a SOB and even swore at me, which 30 years ago, was a rude awakening for me at the time), I had to learn to stand up for myself, and we installed the wood floor ourselves, to save money and to get what we wanted. EVERYTHING is negotiable. You are the customer, you should get what you want!

o

We needed a light colored granite for a guest bath vanity. The vanity is cherry with caffe stain, not quite as dark as java. We used Giallo Ornamental Light. It has a lot of white quartz with taupe, blue-gray, and brown colors and some dull garnet inclusions. I was able to pull the blue-gray out of the granite for wall paint. The silvery blue paint looks very nice with the dark vanity. I wanted color on the walls, not a neutral taupe. GO Light would be pretty with bronze fixtures. I don't care for the gold of the regular GO with wood cabinets--too warm of a combination.

o

In my bath remodel I chose Santa Cecelia granite to top my cappachino stained, black glazed cherry vanity and oil rubbed bronze faucets. I think it looks great with my SW rainwashed walls. Very spa like.....enjoy your new bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here