Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Slippery tile

Posted by nancyb_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 23:40

I've just barely finished a bathroom remodel. ( I'm still waiting for the shower doors to be installed ). I had the floor of my new shower tiled with 2" x 2" matte tiles. I had them left over from when I built my house 19 years ago. In fact I used them as the flooring in my downstairs bathroom.

Today I stood in the shower to rinse the floor off and found that the tile, despite being the right size, grouted and matte is slippery when wet, especially where it's angled toward the drain.

I've spent the evening trying to read about different products that I might use on the tile, but it seems like most of those products etch the tile which in turn makes them hold dirt.

Had anyone dealt with this problem? Any and all thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Slippery tile

Try a wood mat. Like a teak shower mat. Covering the whole shower floor. It will need to be removed to be cleaned, but it will offer much more grip.

o
RE: Help! Slippery tile

I wonder why? What were you using to rinse off the floor... something that made it temporarily slippery? Did they get slippery when wet in your older downstairs bathroom too?

We have 2" smooth matte porcelain tiles in our remodeled shower and our feet don't slip. Those replaced 4" square matte ceramic tiles from 30 years ago. They didn't slip either. Bigger feet?

Seriously, in our guest bath (tub with shower) we have a very lightweight shower mat made out of thin foam like material. Just plop it down when you take a shower and hang it up by its loop on a Command hook (made for wet places) that you can mount anywhere inside the shower. Bed bath and Beyond has them. I fear that anything you do to the tile itself will cause a lot of problems with cleaning it.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here