Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easyboard OVER drywall?

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 23:30

I know it sounds odd, but read on:

Above my vanity light fixture there's a chase which means it's only going to clear the light fixture by a few inches. There's nothing in the fitting literature about clearances, but it's halogen so will probably put out some heat. I was considering one row of tiles (I'm using 8" tiles, most likely, because I have a bunch of them, and I'm out of money.)

I was going to attach them directly to the drywall of the chase (using methods of attaching to ceiling I've read ) - probably 3-4 tiles in all, and use some sort of Schluter edge. It's not a lot of tiles but it will be directly above a porcelain sink.

Someone told me under code rules I'll need to remove the drywall and use backerboard, but could I put the backerboard on top of the drywall? It'll be a bit thicker but I can probably get a Schluter edge that'll work with that.

Bad Idea? It just seems like a lot of work to remove sound drywall AND a corner edge piece, neatly, when I could go over it with backerboard. As for moisture, there may be steam but no direct water contact.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easyboard OVER drywall?

"Someone told me under code rules I'll need to remove the drywall and use backerboard..."

There are always local caveats to code...however...

Only if it's a wet area...in general, the lower portion of a shower wall or tub surround wall that will receive direct water spray. That's where IRC requires a certain type of tile backer board.

"Decorative tile" in a non-wet area...which this seems to be from your description...you can tile directly on gypsum board.

My apologies if I'm mis-reading your question.

Best, Mongo

o
RE: Easyboard OVER drywall?

Mongo, you read me right. It's 'decorative' in the sense that it's not protecting against water, heat perhaps. Using a modified thinset, I'm assuming it won't mind a little heat and won't let go (I've read about the trick of making the 'circle' in the thinset to create a suction cup) This guy - ok, he works at Home Depot - says there's a code about it. That being said, I've yet to see ANY builder of a new home here in British Columbia use ANYTHING but regular drywall in bathrooms in new construction here. When I'm working on the houses it tends to be just before insulating and around completion, so who knows, they may be using Redgard or Kerdi. Somehow I wonder.

No water spray. Shouldn't be, anyway, directly over a sink. As for expansion and contraction, it'll butt up against a Schluter edge on one side, and a corner on the other, which I'll do with silicone or caulk vs grout.

Thanks for weighing in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here