Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejorritsma

Small master bath remodel - so glad to be done!

ejorritsma
16 years ago

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, occasional poster here. We just finished a remodel of a small master bath and wanted to share the joy!

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this link works - I'm a rookie :)

Comments (19)

• cushie
    16 years ago

Oh Emily - it's gorgeous! What kind of tile do you have in the shower? Very, very well done. How big was the bathroom? We're doing a master bath that's a whopping 48 square feet so I love looking at smaller bathrooms.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Emily, I could only view the shower photo. Were there more? The site said there were 2 but, I couldn't get to the second one. The shower looks great, but I'd like to see the entire bath.

• ejorritsma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, guys.

Cushie - The tile in the shower is just the in-stock stuff from Lowes ($.22 per piece), I think it was American Olean. The rope accent pieces were in stock as well. The bathroom is about 10' x 6'

Brutuses - There should've been two pics. I'm not sure why you could only view one. I've added another pic since my OP, so there are three now. Maybe try the link again. It was tough to get any good shots, since it's such a small space.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I cannot reach the other pics as well, and I tried multiple times both yesterday and today, but I do get a "join Snapfish" page. (Cushie, are you a Snapfish member by chance?) Perhaps try putting your pictures up on an easier-to-access site like Photobucket or Picturetrail?

• ejorritsma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about that guys. Whatever the opposite of "tech savvy" is--that's me :) I downloaded them to photobucket. Hopefully that will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the photobucket link

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

You're way ahead of me wrt tech-savviness, just so you know :) And your bathroom is masterful! Takes me right back to the turn-of-the-twentieth-century :) Really nicely done; interest for the eye everywhere you turn (although the toilet seat is up! It's my particular feng shui pet peeve)

I notice you didn't get a framed medicine cabinet--what are the ones you got? I like the look--tempers the Edwardian vibe a bit with some modernity :).

And johnmari, do I recall a possibility that you could have grouted your herringbone tile with grey (as in Bill suggested it but you wanted white)? ... I love your tilework and shower, and I also really like the definition that the grey provides. Although now that I think about it, the grey is picked up here more in the marble so it has something to talk to that maybe it didn't in your room...yes?

• gsciencechick
    16 years ago

Everything looks great! We are also finishing up a small main bath (37 sq ft), budget remodel.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

Very tasteful. That sleek looking wainscot looks good with the frameless medicine cabinet and the hex/dot pulls it all together. Where did you get the waiscot?

• weegie
    16 years ago

Love your bathroom! We are finishing out our third floor as a media/pool table room. There will be a full bath up there, and I am aiming for a look exactly like yours. It's nice to see it all together. Well done.

• mdoats
    16 years ago

Very nice. That shower is almost exactly what I would do if I had the money to re-do my downstairs bathroom.

• ejorritsma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flyleft - The medicine cabinet is another off the shelf piece from Lowes. Behind the sink is a mirror with a beveled edge. We weren't necessarily trying to be slaves to period with the various elements (mostly because we couldn't afford to), just tried to keep it fairly classic.

Dontcallmeshirley - The wainscot is a custom job by contractor. We love how it turned out!

I was really happy with how the shower turned out as well.
    Too bad more people won't get to see it.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Very nice, ejorritsma. Are those Newport Brass faucets at the shower and sink, and is your niche finished off with quarter round tile? I like that detail.

Flyleft, my tile is actually almond, and the grout matches it perfectly, although it photographs white for some reason. Although Bill wanted me to use a tan/light brown grout instead of the almond, I wanted more of a subtle "texture" depending as much on shadow lines as anything else for its visual definition (and although it doesn't show up on pictures because of the flash, it does come across fine IRL) rather than strong contrast. Almond grout doesn't show dirt anywhere near as much as white - I would rather "cut me own froat" than fight with white grout! :-) High contrast creates far too busy a look for my own personal tastes, although it works (in someone else's house) if it ties back into other high-contrast elements in the room, and if I'm going to spend at least an hour a day looking at it... *chuckle* In the new house, since it's an oldie, I'll probably be a little more "slave to period" with white subway tile instead of almond, but the grout will still be pretty softly toned. A review of my documentation reminds me that white (although it was the most expensive and only stayed white for about three minutes), off-white, sand, beige, and a range of grays from near-white to "battleship" were available in the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm planning on lots of warm woodtones and warm-colored metals so I'm thinking of maybe a light "greige"-ish sort of color. Of course, I haven't seen samples yet, so that's subject to change without notice. ;-)

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

ejorritsma, hope you don't mind another question on your neat small bathroom. I noticed you chose a vanity with a sink placed on the right. My bathroom has a similar layout but the sink is currently placed on the left so I am curious about your choice. Are you left handed or was the intent to place the sink in the middle of the room?

• lucyvanpelt
    16 years ago

It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind terribly posting a list of everything you used? I'm doing a black and white bath myself and love to know what I'm looking at (using those cheap lowes tiles too, they look great!)

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I love how your bathrooom has come out! It is so elegant yet homey at the same time. The sad part is that fewer people see the master bath, yet the most important ones do (the ones paying the bills, lol).
    I hope ours come out as nice ;)

• ejorritsma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback.

Jonmari - Glad you like it. I decided on the herringbone pattern in the shower after seeing yours. Yes, we did use quarter round tile to finish out the niche.

Dontcallmeshirley - DH wanted the sink off-center, so he could sneak in and use the sink without disturbing my morning beautification process. We put it on the right simply because he didn't want it right next to the wall.

Here's the rest of the details for those who are curious:

Wall color - RH Atmosphere Blue (Color-matched at Lowes, using Valspar semi-gloss paint. We're too cheap to buy RH paint :)
    Sink faucet & towel bars - Kingston Brass Metropolitan
    Shower faucet - KB Vintage
    Floor tile - AO Satinglo Hexagon. Gloss black accents from American Universal
    Shower tile - AO gloss white, w/ gloss black rope accent (both in stock at Lowes)
    Grout - Mapei Warm Gray
    Vanity - custom made by FIL (for the cost of materials and a nice dinner out :), cherry wood stained w/ Olympic Mocha Brown
    Countertop - honed Carrera marble
    Light fixture - Can't remember the brand, but we purchased it from lampsplus.com

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Wow, that FIL's a keeper :)

• lucyvanpelt
    16 years ago

This may be a bizarre question, but where did you find the quarter round at Lowes? I've been trying to find some but online they say "contact store" and in the store they are clueless. Was it just sitting on the shelf? I'm wondering if it's worth it to take a drive to the big lowes and see if they have them or what.

I'm glad to hear your vanity is custom. I was afraid I'd missed a source. :D

• ejorritsma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy - The Lowes by us had a ton of pieces that went with the subways in stock. I know what you mean about the people there being clueless. I guess you get what you pay for :)

Flyleft - FIL is a Saint! He helped us completely remodel our kitchen last summer. He and DH worked 15 hour days and I had a completely new kitchen in 9 days! He wouldn't let us pay him then either.