Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heimert

grohe vs. hansgrohe

heimert
16 years ago

Any thoughts on one brand vs. the other? My GC thinks either of these are among the best. Obviously style is one considertion

Price is another. Hansgrohe looks *significantly* cheaper for comparable functionality. Is that right?

Any quality issues in terms of lifespan?

We're doing 3 full baths, so price differences add up.

Comments (15)

• redrange
    16 years ago

I picked out a Hansgrohe valve/faucet for our new shower, but our plumber told me No. He said Hansgrohe was the cheaper line by Grohe, high on style but not as good of quality. He said for something important like the shower we should use Grohe, because we wouldn't ever want that to fail, but for the sinks he thought the Hansgrohe would be okay, so that's what we're doing.

But that's just one plumber's opinion.

• toomuchstuph
    16 years ago

Hansgrohe here in our master bath. Has been in service for 4 (?) years give or take. I completely love these faucets. I know 4 years isn't a lot to gauge by but I'd have no hesitation in buying the exact same faucets again tomorrow if the need arose.

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

Hansgrohe and Grohe are two totally separate companies. They have no relation to each other. Both supply high-quality fixtures. I have all Hansgrohe in my master bath; they're an elegant design and very well made.

http://www.groheamerica.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe

• chriskelly13
    16 years ago

I chose a Hansgrohe shower system and other fixtures including hooks, tp holder, etc.. Not installed yet, but they look great and solid in the boxes. And although not inexpensive, they were much less than comparable Grohe (which I do have as a pull out faucet in kitchen and is working great for 2 years.)

• heimert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad to hear we can't go wrong either way.

Chriskelly13: What kind of price differences did you see? I went to homeclick and it appears that I could outfit a tub/shower with a 3 outlet system (shower, handshower, tub filler) for somewhere on the order of $400 (depending on showerheads chosen and the exact product). For grohe, I could barely buy the valve and trim for that amount. Am I missing something on pricing? Is homeclick a bad place to get a rough sense of prices?

• chriskelly13
    16 years ago

Our Hansgrohe Solaris shower system, with the thermobalance valve, was $588.00 from a local (Philly) supply place. We did not want the 3 spa valves that are shown with the sets online, so it may have been a bit cheaper. The Solaris vanity faucet was $168. I forget the prices online at this point, but the local price (for this and other fixtures) was close. Also, I wasn't confident of getting all the values right, which the plumbing supply place apparently did. (No complaints from the plumber so far.)

For all our local supplies we did end up paying about $100 in tax, however.

The Grohe was much, much more. If price is not a concern, I think the Grohe is a bit more substantial. Will you or anyone else in the bathroom notice a difference between the 2? I doubt it. We are only agonizing over these things in the midst of the renos, IMO!

• dion_wilson_waterhousebks_com
    12 years ago

They are or were related. The original company was Hansgrohe was started in 1901. The father, Hans started the company. Some time later with the blessing of his father Hans's second son Friedrich started Grohe. In the 196o's Grohe was sold to an investment company and the son went back to work for his fathers company Hansgrohe. They are both very well made. Hansgrohe has the edge on design and showering components. The Axor line is amazing.

• abekker
    9 years ago

Thanks Dion, I think I will stick with the cast iron for the kids bath, just feels better for some reason. I chose Kohler Bellweather for them. Although, it's not very deep they will mostly use it for showering.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

My DH has Grohe in his bathroom and I have Hansgrohe in mine (both are brushed nickel). Both companies' fixtures are beautifully designed and appear to be sturdy. Fwiw, my plumber did say that the Hansgrohe thermostatic shower valve was one of the best he has seen and wanted one for his own home!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I had a Grohe kitchen faucet in my last house. It seemed such an extravagance at the time. However, after replacing a few faucets due to two big strong sons and a big strong husband slamming them on/off and breaking them or having something on the inside bottom rust out and cause slow leaks into cabinet the Grohe was money well spent. I should have just bought the Grohe to start with and saved money on junk. I bought a Hansgrohe bathroom facet from Costco for my sonâÂÂs new-ish place and it has stood up well to the abuse. The only negative is that his one piece leverâÂÂs red & blue hot cold dots markers are mostly warn off. Not big deals unless he plans on selling as the home inspectors around here write you up for that. I just bought Hansgrohe facets for my master bath remodel so havenâÂÂt used them yet. I bought Delta for the guest bath. The Hansgrohe are at least twice as heavy as the Delta.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe faucet in the kitchen and all Grohe fixtures in the bathroom. I believe the companies were related but are quite separate now. I've found quality and pricing to be quite similar. I went for a particular look in my bathroom and Grohe had the right fixture for my budget. Both are very good brands.

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

heimert, are you including the ibox and the trim which should include the valve. I am getting a thermostatic trim with volume control for a rainshower head and handshower on a bar, but we want to be able to run both at the same time. The trim was by far my most expensive item and is costing $300 not including the $76 IBox. For the separate bathtub we like the Grohe tub spout better so including the trim and valve, $200. That is non-diverting and no separate volume or temp control.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Heimert's post is from 7 years ago!

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

lol I didn't even notice, maybe the prices were that low way back when.