Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divadly_gw

Vihara glass mosaic look-a-likes?

divadly
10 years ago

Hi,

I have fallen in love with the Vihara glass mosaics from Sonoma Tilemakers. Unfortunately, it is just not within my budget! Has anyone come across more affordable look a like tiles? I particularly like the Metta color way but would even like something a little more in the gray / charcoal range.

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (3)

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Hi Dee -

I don't know that it will be any less but the other company that makes beautiful iridescent glass tile is Oceanside Glasstile. But, it is spendy too!

We used the Tessera Beach Blonde glass mosaic blend in my daughter's bathroom as a border - and could only afford it because part of the room was a "gift" from my daughters' grandmother who wanted them to have a beautiful bathroom. Hey, I'm not too proud to accept the gift of tile!

It is gorgeous though - It was a bathroom so I wanted those spa colors - pics below but it doesn't do the iridescence justice. I see they have several that are in a similar color palette to the one you like from Sonoma.

I will tell you that we actually used Sonoma glass tile in our kitchen and wet bar, and after purchasing 14 different types of tile for our projects, it was worth every penny. It is perfect - we found no flaws which is notorious in glass tile. And they take great care with your tile. They sent the border tile for our kitchen individually shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard!

I mixed it with a less expensive tile in order to use it, because it is expensive.

We used the Tantrum Rhythm border in Green Tea and then the Tantrum Field 1x1 tiles in Green Tea, Hemp, Canyon Red and Adobe in our backsplash with 5 Miraval Carved 2 x 2 tiles mixed in.

Then, in our wetbar we used the Tantrum slivers in Green Tea. (We actually went with a Chinese tile company that has a glass tile that was "sort of" similar to Sonoma and it was terrible. We went through four deliveries of damaged or inconsistent color before our local tile company just decided that it wasn't worth it to try again. They gave us the Sonoma at the price of the other tile, so that was an unexpected gift. I won't even give you the name of that tile because I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!)

Since you're looking for a paler palette, can you mix it with a different tile and use it as a border? Maybe a pretty glazed subway or neutral subway tile?

Anyway, just thought I'd toss it out there. Maybe check on the Oceanside Glasstile?

Good luck!
    Alexa

No caulk yet in the wet bar!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceanside Glasstile

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

I should have added that to help with the budget, I used the Oceanside Glass in a border around the shower with subway and then put it in the back of the niches -

the pattern and color you love would look beautiful with that type of treatment? This was before it was all finished but you get the idea?

• maisiemouse
    3 years ago

Hi, I love the Beach Blonde mosaic tile that you used. You said it was a bit “spendy”. Can you please tell me how spendy it is and who was your supplier. Thanks!