Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgedid_gw

Shower planning questions: shower screen and stone floor

mgedid
10 years ago

Having lived with a master bathroom renovation for a while, (and appreciating the invaluable advice I've received from this forum!) I'm embarking on a second with a different contractor. Lord help me.

I've got a couple of questions for those who have perhaps already made these decisions and are now living with them because I am not getting clear answers from the tile guys I've spoken with. What are the pros and cons of:

1) a partial glass screen on a shower instead of a frameless door.

I'm not a fan of the cleaning of the shower sill; even with a frameless door, it's kind of frustrating. While we like the way a frameless door looks otherwise, I am looking for even less upkeep and lower cost, as this is for a guest bathroom that won't get an enormous amount of use. Should I be worried about splashing water out of the door opening? Do I need to go higher than the standard 3' or 4' tile height on a the wall outside the unscreened shower opening? Our plan is to go with a large format tile (12x18"?) both inside the shower and outside on the walls, which I am hoping will make the room (small and interior) look larger.

2) I'd love to use an engineered stone floor, (swanstone, corian) for even less grout cleaning, but also want to control cost. Unless I want to move the drain hole, I've been told that I'm most likely in for a custom pan. Are custom pans substantially more expensive than off the shelf?

Is there another brand outside of swanstone I should be looking at? Are there any installation issues with various engineered stone brands or generally to be aware of?

Am I missing anything?
Thank you, all!

Comment (1)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I don't know about any shower pans but the Kohler cast iron pan I will be installing. I have one that is 36x60". It has a center drain. There is a 30"x60" that has the drain at either end, to be used where a tub had been. It also comes in a 36"x48" I think. About the other questions regarding a glass screen, I can't tell you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH