Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple_gw

Q: Is flood testing your shower pan really needed?

johnfrwhipple
13 years ago

A: Yes it is. And here is why...

Why do we check our work? Because every now and then it just doesn't go so good. Like this last weekend. When the client noticed not on flood test hour 24 but flood test hour number 50 that there was a leak in my work.

How did it happen? Not sure...

Can it happen? More times than you would think...

Should you flood test? This is exactly why...

I'm glad Peter (Square Pusher) can juggle his schedule for me so I can preform this repair.

Make sure you flood these shower pans people and don't get comfortable. I have not had a failure in almost 5 years in my shower pans and I'm sure this will not be my last.

This repair will cost me some to fix and even more costly - mine and Peter's lost time. The client has been keep in the loop and nothing has been offered as an excuse other than Me or one of my boys made a mistake. I have tested this Nobel membrane and know it to be a water tight product.

My liner was a single sheet and the only holes I know of where the three from the compression bolts and they had Nobel 150 under them. I will look closer at my work and try and understand what we did wrong last week but I suspect that it will take longer to find the fault rather than just redoing it.

Mistakes keep us humble. Keep me cautious.

I carry $4,000,000 liability insurance and hope I never need it. I will keep up my multi day flood testing as this poorly built shower pan (my work) leaked after 2 days of flood testing. Not after 2 hours or even overnight - but around hour 50 of a 60 hour scheduled test...

What other safe measures do you pros take to ensure this does not happen? What insight can you offer up this wounded "Private" ???

JW

Comments (6)