Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailormass

Mastic for Ceramic Tile for Shower Walls?

sailormass
11 years ago

Hi, all--Thanks for giving me such great advice over the past few days. I have another question. In my master bath, I am having a four by four tiled shower. I've chosen a three by eight tile that is a ceramic faux travertine. Looks great so far--tile installer has only just started.

Here's my question: the installer comes very highly recommended by a couple of wise, experienced, honest friends who are quite knowledgeable about tile.

The installer himself, who works with his son, has thus far seemed very expert, very sincere, very honest. I am wondering, then, why, when I returned home the other day, the son had started the job and I noticed he'd used TEC Double Plus Ceramic Tile Adhesive. It's my understanding that this is mastic and mastic is not the best choice for tiling shower walls, etc. It's my understanding that thinset is the thing to use.

Of course, I plan to ask the installer first thing Monday morning, but, in the meantime, can anyone think of a reason why an reputable and honest installer not concerned with speed but definitely concerned with craftsmanship might use this mastic instead of thinset?

I've attached a pic of the tile and the pattern being installed, in case that is relevant info.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (9)