Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davis_jones

60 inch air tubs

Davis Jones
10 years ago

I've always received very good help on these forums (during our kitchen remodel) and now getting ready to do 2 bathrooms. The start date MAY be pulling forward and now need to get off my rear to find a suitable aiir tub. Our master bathroom isn't tiny but space is at apremium due to layout, etc. remodel will be a full gut but I am planning to keep most of existing lyout intact. Thus the 60 inch tub ( width is not an issue).

I would like to stay around the $2000 mark for the tub. I can flex somewhat higher if need be and will include accessories on top of that. But I am not seeking a $3500 tub. I have seen several of the Aquatic series on line (problem is seeing anything in person is difficult). I want reliable and of course good functionality. I could care less about lights, etc but do want something besides a soaker. I also want a fairly deep tub ( fill depth befor eoverflow at least 17-18 inch range or more).

Any experiences recommendations etc will be greatly appreciated! John

Comments (19)

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

I started another thread if you go back a page or so about Air Tubs, but there is a bit of discussion there about features and another brand than what I ended up with. I just bought a Jason International 60x32 Air Masseur. You can pull their price sheets off their web page to see if any you like meet your budget, and there are options you can select or not. I won't even see it for a few more weeks. I will try to provide a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Jason vs. Bain Ultra

• suger4630
    10 years ago

I've been searching too and have sat in a few. I'm looking in the $2000 range and really don't want to go any higher. I talked to Connie at Tubzlady and she was very helpful. I've narrowed it down to the Americh Wright which comes in right under the 2K mark and the Kohler Underscore which is a bit higher. The Underscore is fairly comfortable with a nice lumbar ridge but no arm rests. I have not sat in the Americh but the diagram looks close to Kohler. I also sat in a Jason which is a bit more expensive, but I didn't find the model that I sat in to be very comfortable. There are so many to choose from that it can be overwhelming. I haven't decided yet but am getting close. Good luck!

• suger4630
    10 years ago

I've been searching too and have sat in a few. I'm looking in the $2000 range and really don't want to go any higher. I talked to Connie at Tubzlady and she was very helpful. I've narrowed it down to the Americh Wright which comes in right under the 2K mark and the Kohler Underscore which is a bit higher. The Underscore is fairly comfortable with a nice lumbar ridge but no arm rests. I have not sat in the Americh but the diagram looks close to Kohler. I also sat in a Jason which is a bit more expensive, but I didn't find the model that I sat in to be very comfortable. There are so many to choose from that it can be overwhelming. I haven't decided yet but am getting close. Good luck!

• onedog3cats
    10 years ago

We just installed a Mirabelle Bradenton 60x32 in our guest bath. List price on their site is just over $2k, but our plumber was able to get it for much less. I think about $1200 with the heater. Height to overflow is 17.5" and depth is 21.5".

I used it for the first time last night and don't have any complaints so far. It doesn't have the fancy controls like some of the other Mirabelle tubs, it just has two buttons on the inside of the tub. It has an access panel in the front, which I wasn't all that thrilled about having. But it doesn't bother me at all now.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirabelle Bradenton 60x32

• onedog3cats
    10 years ago

sorry another duplicate ;)

This post was edited by onedog3cats on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:20

• onedog3cats
    10 years ago

sorry duplicate post

This post was edited by onedog3cats on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:19

• lee676
    10 years ago

I also have a Bradenton in one room, though the plain non-jet version. It's a nice tub overall, with mostly good use of the available space and a comfortable shape. Only two minor complaints - the armrests are a bit higher than ideal (though their height makes them helpful for sitting up and lifting yourself out of the tub), and the front wall could have been moved forward 2" or so for more inside length - the ledge at the front seems needlessly long. Even as is, it's quite good overall though, and seems well made (by Clarke; "Mirabelle" is a Ferguson house brand and the exclusive seller in the US). At least in my area, most Ferguson stores have these on display in their showrooms, and the turnaround time if you order one is usually short.

Since width is not an issue, I'd consider the Watertech Elite Air, which is available in 32", 36" (shown in this pic) and 42" widths

, or the less expensive Ultra model which is 32"w only:
    . Never seen or used either of them, but the Elite has a nice setup with a horizontal, high-mounted overflow drain which allows the water to be deeper without making the sides of the tub so tall it's hard to climb over to get in or out of the tub. I also like how the length on both of these designs is maximized by pushing the front wall forward of the overflow drain on either side of it, so your feet have more room to stretch out. For more pics and info on these tubs, and an American Standard tub with a similar drain design, see my posts in thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 foot soaking tubs

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx to all who have posted and appreciate the feedback and information. Helps me realize some of the things that do matter and those which don't ( such as armrests since I don't read in tub or spend an hour a day there). I would consider doing a simple deep soaker but know that I would enjoy the air. I don't take long baths, never more than 15 minutes as a rule but they do help with back and leg pain.

I hope to make it to a local Fergusons over the weekend to at least see something that is real. I can also ask my contractor if he gets any better pricing than I do as a consumer.

Agree, too, on shape of the tubs above assuming it isn't an optical illusion ( as in overflow pulled forward versus feet location pushed backward). Have never heard of that brand before so is something new to consider. I do appreciate everyone's posts thus far. These things around me are difficult to find and hard to imagine buying a $2500 tub witout having seen it first. Thus the user feedback helps.. also hard to know how loud they are and so on!

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Hi John, the price sheets on the Jason site are retail, so you might find your contractor can obtain for much less. There were none to be seen in my area either, thus this forum is invaluable to me to get honest opinions and advice!

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Divo.. I know there is a Jason dealer located about 2 hours from me but we go there fairly often but just not during the week. Seems like many of the bath/kitchen type places are M-F only. Even nearest Fergusons is M-F.

I *supposedly* have a Bain/Oceanis authorized dealer near me but not sure what is really up with that just yet as I don't think there is any storefront. When I was looking at the detailed drawings of these I was somewhat surprised to see how shallow the Bain and Oceania tubs were (Bain specifically the Meridian 50 and Oceania The Soliste 60).. seems neither are more than 15 inches to overflow if I am reading the drawings correctly.

Not that I am considering an American Standard yet buthey are about 18 or so inches to overflow and the Water Techs mentioned above are also deeper. Not that I am planning on taking a swim but it would be nice to have the extra depth. 14 inches just doesn't seem all that deep. But then I wonder why the more expensive name brands are staying to the less deep plan. Could I guess be a reason!

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night I was trying to see how deep the Aquatic Serenity Tubs were but their drawings were anything but specific. I probably should not dismiss either American Standard or Water Tech but just not turned on by the brands. AS is not very American and if Water Tech is essentially distributing through Lowes it does not strike me as a sign of greatness! But the Water Tech in images looks very interesting and I even like the built in faucet (if it is well made). Just not sure I trust the brand/point of sale! But both AS and WT are very deep tubs.

I measured my builder grade garden tub I have now and at it's lowest point to midline of spill over is about 14.5 inches and it seems shallow to me when in it. I may at the least have determined a detail that matters to me which is a good thing.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

our builder grade Kohler cast iron is only about 12" to the top. Could be everyone making them not really deep to make them easier to get in/out or to meet water saving regulations. Is there a Toto dealer near you? They may have a deeper soaker (Japanese furo style). Our local Toto dealer also has the Jacuzzi and MTI brands

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to have to see what I can dig up around here. Often I am amazed.. I live near Charlotte NC which has about a million people in and around it and often there is simply nothing it seems. Perhaps the economy has changed. I have one nearby bath and kitchen showroom but they are primarily a Kohler dealer (they can get Toto just don't show it). I will visit a Ferguson's in near future to see what Mirabelle tubs they have on display. They run about 18 inches from drain to overflow. Is always nice to see something before buying if at all possible.

I have a quote for a Bain Ultra 6042 but max water level is still under 15 inches and the price is anything but cheap. Not saying we won't go there but is another thing where I cannot see before buying.

The Water Tech tubs have some nice features and ar enot priced badly at all but would be a blind purchase and I cannot find much anywhere about them. Not feeling cozy about that one. Aquatic is another line that is priced very reasonably but their spec sheets do not show the fill depth and is another instance of where to see. Ack! Thanks goodness for this place to help! I'll peruse the Toto line. Seems like most of the bigger names are running with less depth and it does make me wonder if there is a design reason. Certainly helps with the size of water heater needed and fill times!

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just found prices via Lowes for the WaterTech and most likely will drive final nail in that coffin. Same price as the Bain quote and even though nicely deeper, etc just not feeling the value is there for a brand I know so little about (it could in fact be best tub ever made). I do like the depth it offers. The Mirabelles offer more depth than the Bain at a more affordable price point but as I have heard many times you get what you pay for! If I can see one actually running it would help though.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

I have the Mirabelle Edenton 60x30x30 air bath. I love it and have had no problems. If you search you'll see pictures of mine and even a video of it in action. Although its footprint is small it's actually quite a large tub inside. I'm about 6 feet tall, and I fit.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Generally, if the tub is to be used as a tub/shower, it will be shallower to facilitate stepping into it for shower use. And it will have the integral tile flange. A tub without that is only suitable for use as a plain soaking tub. It's not clear if you are wanting it as just a soaking tub or if it has to do duty as a shower as well. But that's another consideration beyond just the comfort level of the tub itself.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ThX Holly and Kevin,

I'll search for the tub in action photo! Holly, the tub will only be a tub (sans shower). Had not thought to specify that so thanks for asking! Shower in master is a separate enclosure!

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did some more reading and in addition to the Mirabelle tubs, Bain Ultra (depth is limiting to me in this one), I have found the Kohler Undersore 60x 36 tub. Judging by on line pricing it is in same ballpark pricewise as the Bain Ultra quote I have and a tad cheaper if I eliminate the Geysair Bain add on. The 240V electrical requirement may eat any savings. But, on paper, the tub appears to have every feature I would want and max depth is a hair over 17 inches. Time to look for user reviews on these series.. it is pricey at about $3100 whereas the Mirabelles and Aquatics will be significantly less expensive,

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to say thanks to all who posted here and raised other perspectives, offered suggestions and in general made me think about things I probably had not thought of before. Very helpful and very appreciated.

I managed to go out and see some empty tubs today but even that helped me see some things. At this point I am going to visit with my contractor to see if there is any reasonable way to fit a 66 inch tub into the bathroom. I am 6 ft 1 and while I can fit inside the 60 inch it is an easier fit to go one size up. Sometimes seeing is helpful!

My list is now fairly short:

Kohler Underscore

Aquatic Serenity 35

Mirabelle Edenton 36x66 or 36x60

I had thought about the MTI Andrea 11 but pricing there starts to climb rapidly and there just comes a point where I have to say "enough". If I spent 60 minutes every day in the tub an in line heater, arm rests etc might be a good idea.

One thing about the Serenity that was good to see is how high and wide the borde rof tub is. Definitely will require a long reaching faucet and I wonder if climbing out an dover will be difficult (tub I saw today was not yet set up in its box) The Aquatic certainly looked ok. As did the Mirabelle (lowest price option). I did not see the Edenton but one similar.

Overall I am probably somewhat partial to the Kohler underscore "look" but then it wa salso undermounted. I do prefer an under mount appearance but not sure I want to go there. Seems more involved for the installation. I also need to see what the 240V aspects will cost for the install (not sure I have space in breaker box).

Still deciding but the list is very much smaller now! Water depth on all of these tubs is more than deep enough.. 17.5 to almost 19 inches to overflow.