Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

huge tile error

musicteacher
10 years ago

I think my Spanish speaking tile guy just laid my whole bathroom floor with grout instead of thin set. Are my tiles ruined?

Comments (11)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

The âÂÂNew Economyâ Is The No Jobs Economy

Here we go, one more time. Of the 161,000 reported private sector jobs gained in July, 157,000 or 97.5 percent, are in non-tradable domestic services. A non-tradable service is a job that produces services that cannot be exported, such as waitresses, bartenders, hospital orderlies, retail clerks, warehousemen. Thus, no matter how large the number might be, it cannot reduce the huge US trade deficit. Most of these jobs are part-time jobs without health or pension benefits. People in these jobs tend to live hand-to-mouth. These jobs do not produce sufficient income to drive a consumer economy.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

And that helps the OP how Geoffrey???????

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

@millworkman: Well there seems to be a lot of bad judgement in the US. Whether it's the corporations shipping our skilled jobs overseas, or our fellow citizens.

Obviously, hiring someone who is not a professional - to do a 'permanent' job, who cannot understand the language, is bad judgement.

It seems our fellow citizens just want something cheap - forget about the 'real' tile guy's who have to raise a family, pay for health insurance, pay taxes, etc.

The US seems to be in a race to the bottom!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I do not disagree but................

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

How very disappointing. Can the work be redone?

• selphydeg
    10 years ago

This is the bathroom forum where we talk about bathroom remodeling. Maybe you can save your passive aggressive, self righteous rant for the yahoo news forum.

• enduring
    10 years ago

What leads you to believe he has laid it with grout? If he did, I have no idea how easy it would be to lift the tile but I would imagine that it would need to be replaced using thinset. The thinset needs to be able to tolerate foot traffic/weight. I think the standards are very specific on this.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this mistake.

edited to add: check out the john bridge forum, and ask there, if you need more information.

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 19:59

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you those of you who cared. Thankfully, he was a lot smarter than I thought. He had been asking questions about the additive that came with the grout, and when I saw the empty grout container I jumped to conclusions. I didn't know that he had grouted the shower and then laid the floor tile. Whew.
    By the way, this man was a hard working, talented tile man who did a beautiful job on my bathroom, working 12 hours a day and so gracious when I asked him to change a couple of things. He was eager to please and so pleasant to have around. I don't begrudge him earning money to feed his children just because they were born in Mexico. I only mentioned the language problem because I had presented him with a new product and was afraid that I had confused him since he did not yet read in English.

• enduring
    10 years ago

No worries, it is wonderful to hear of hard working,kind, and honest workman. I bet he did a beautiful job.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Maybe you can save your passive aggressive, self righteous rant for the yahoo news forum.

There is a Hot Topics forum right here on GW. They could certainly use some new blood there. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Topics

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate - gremlins in the GW system

This post was edited by terriks on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:39