Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eliminating all but 2in of spray foam on wall 4 a shower niche?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 22:24

I really want a niche in my master bathroom shower and the only wall we can do it on is the outside wall. The tile guy said he can eliminate some of the spray foam to do this, but I'm wondering if that's a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eliminating all but 2in of spray foam on wall 4 a shower nich

Bad idea in just about any place but SoCal.

o

How big is your shower? Do you have any room to spare that you could build out the wall by a few inches? Or possibly build a 45 degree corner for a niche?

o

It's a small shower so there isn't much space to build out the wall. Won't a bunch of corner shelves look funny? I have a ton of shower products!

o

Maybe you can cantilever your niche out the exterior wall, so you can still take advantage of full insulation. Just kidding ;)

o

I'm in a similar climate as you and our builder said he won't do it. I didn't really argue. We're just doing corner shelves instead. I just made sure they were in a corner you didn't see when you walked in the room.

o

Yeah, I wouldn't do an outside wall niche either. I'd be afraid I'd freeze the pipes in the bathroom! Maybe it wouldn't be that extreme but you'd be feeling the coldness radiating through while showering, I bet. Corner shelves might be just the thing, and you could get more shelving right? All up and down the one corner.

o

I agree, bad idea. Spray foam is very efficient, but that's going to be the coldest spot. At best you'll get condensation, and it'll be cold. Last thing you want in a shower area.

o

yeah, you are all making sense. i'm not going to do the niche on that wall and just have a ton of shelves. :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here