Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a problem on the contractor side? See the photos.

Posted by ktslwy (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 22:20

A week after remodeling. I finally have some time to start cleaning the whole bathroom but when I get to see the details I feel upset. I called the contractor and he is coming in two days to check things out. From these pictures, is there a problem on the contractor side?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a problem on the contractor side? See the photos.

Cracking grout lines.

o

Stains on the tiles

o

Cracks with just one sponge wipe

o

More stains and crack.

o

Residues on the shower steps

o

Some grout lines turned dark on wet. Guessing only some are sealed.

o

The only thing I see that's installer error is the grout job. That's pretty crappy. As for the "stains" and so forth, they look like glaze defects, which probably should've been culled out and/ or used for cuts. As for the edge of the curb, a little cleaning with a utiolity knife should take care of that. Do you have enough tile ro replace the ones with the glaze defects in them? Although those need to be replaced, it should not be on the tile guy to supply the new tile, being the defects weren't due to something he did.

That's IF those are glaze defects, as I believe they are. You mght try taking a utility knife to that tile in the first pic. Believe me-- this is glazed porcelain-- you're not going to hurt it.

o

Bill gives great advice above. Question on the shower step--it does not look like they used any type of finished edge for the top piece. Was that intentional to have an unfinished edge exposed?

o

How should it suppose to work out for the curb? It has to have one side of the edge exposed. I touch it by hand and it feels smooth. That's fine with me as the edge has a similar color as the tile surface.

o

Some tile lines don't have bullnose available to them, but if this is the Dal tile I think it is, I DO believe bullnose IS available. I'd be curious why he didn't question you about this, but if you didn't give him bullnose, I understand why he did what he did (unless he's working for the place you bought your tile from).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here