Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miruca

Master Bath Plan 16 x 9

miruca
11 years ago

I am looking for suggestions on the layout for a 16 x 9 master bath with the entry door along one end of the 16' wall. Want a walk-in shower, jacuzzi tub, and double sinks - with some privacy for the toilet.

Also - the laundry backs up to the 9' wall near the entry - I was trying to leverage plumbing with this but have not been successfull.

I've tried several options and none of them "click" - hoping someone has already walked this path or at least has a keener eye than I. Have embedded the plan - the dimensions show an inch off for some reason that I've yet to figure out. Appreciate all suggestions!

{{gwi:1474551}}

Comments (16)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Can someone post what standard or reasonable walk in shower and jacuzzi size would be? I don't know the technical stuff, but I love puzzles like this. Gives my brain a break from my kitchen planning, and I always think more ideas is better, even if just for discussion.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think you might should consider *turning* your bath... esp if this is a new build. What direction are the joists running under this space? (my guess is up/down or N/S as diagrammed).

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

We have a similar size bathroom and this is what Summerfield designed when I asked for input. Our final design was not exactly the same, but very close and we really like it.

I realize that ours has the hallway on an outside wall, but I thought you might be able to use it as a starting idea

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dekeobe thanks for Summerfields design! I tried about six different ways ... but I never thought about putting the vanity/sinks across from each other!

kirkhall - this will be new construction with N/S joists. Re turning the room around - do you mean both the closet and bath should be the other direction - stretching from the bedroom to the outside wall? One of the rooms would be under 8' wide then.

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mongoct - thank you for diving in on this plan - you have some great suggestions. Please have at it as much as you want :) I can clarify some things:

1. Windows will depend upon bath layout - so it is an open slate right now.

2. Double doors - at first I had a single but it looked odd both from the hall and inside the room. The doors opened to about 4'6 or 5' hallway with custom closet doors - both visually unique and operationally. With your other proposed changes - I will rethink this entry.

3. Closet -intent is large opening in the center(modeled on a much liked closet) - so narrow(about 2'each) sliding panels push out from the center to either side

4. Laundry - perfect :) One of those why didn't I see that moemnts!

5. Pocket doors - I think the there was only one - at the entry to the bath - with your changes that is not needed!

Double door view before..

{{gwi:1474556}}

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Yes, that was my suggestion. A closet does not need to be 8 feet wide. So, I guess it goes to preference then... But, plumbing is a big factor here, and if your joists run N-S, turning your bathroom might be the better choice.

• ppalm
    11 years ago

dekeobe- LOVE the floorplan you submitted. We are working on a master remodel and I just can't get the right flow in the room. Yours might work in our space. !! Only difference is we will have a clawfoot tub which would replace your jacuzzi. Looking at your space-would a free standing tub look odd in the tub area? Any chance you can post pics for finished view?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

ppalm - A clawfoot tub would look great in the tub area. Here is how it looks with our soaking tub.

• ppalm
    11 years ago

Thanks!~That jacuzzi makes me want to rethink the clawfoot!! Such a nice bright bathroom you must have! Another question-do you have half walls in the front of your shower or are those full walls? This process is KILLING me ! Really appreciate your input and taking the time to send the tub pic. :-)

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kirkhall - thanks - will think about the joist issue. The preference on the 8' closet is enjoying that two (or three with kids in and out)can comfortably be in the closet at the same time - plenty of room to try things on or get dressed.

dekeobe - thanks for the visual! I really do like that layout.

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dekeobe - curious ... what did you change from Summerfield's layout design?

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dekeobe - curious ... what did you change from Summerfield's layout design?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

ppalm - It is too dark around here to get some good pictures, but I have this not very good shot of the shower and my husband's vanity on my computer. As you can see, we have a half wall in front of the shower. It is a little taller than normal so it would be tall enough for a towel ring. Our shower niche is on the other side of that wall.

miruca - We do not have the built in shelves on both sides of the tub as shown in Summerfield's design. I think it actually would have been a bit difficult to drop the tub in on top of the granite if we had done them.

In the shower we did not put in a bench and changed where the shower head is located. We put the stationary and hand held shower heads on the wall where Shummerfield has the bench and put the controls on the wall where she has the shower head. And we changed the swing direction of the shower door.

We did not put a door on the toilet area. I don't really like small, enclosed toilet rooms. And we much prefer the view out those windows, which is what you see when using the toilet.

And there is no wall between the toilet and my vanity. Instead, I copied mongoct's vanity and have a pull-out cabinet. I topped mine with a 12" deep upper cabinet that takes the place of a medicine cabinet.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

" Instead, I copied mongoct's vanity and have a pull-out cabinet."

lol

• miruca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dekeoboe - thanks for Summerfield's [lan and the additional information on your completed room - I really like the controls where you put them and the change in door swing. We've incorporated this layout into our plans!