Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrueter_gw

Bubble glass for shower enclosure? Decision overload.

jrueter
9 years ago

I keep thinking that some light texture to the glass shower enclosure will minimize the appearance of spots between cleanings. DH will NOT squeegee(and I'm not that into it either). Our contractor can get this bubble glass (see link) but is pushing for the clear. Says squeegee is easy, textured costs more (but won't know exact numbers until they measure tomorrow) and the texture will hide the pretty tile and make the bathroom seem smaller.

Any thoughts or insights? How much of an upgrade is the bubble glass? +10%, +50%, +150%?

Do you think this pattern will hide water spots? Will it visually shrink the bathroom?

Should I just get the clear glass and squeegee? That would seem the safe choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubble glass

Comments (11)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

We put in patterned glass. Yes it totally disguises the daily shower spray we use to keep it from getting hard water and soap spots. The rest of the tile is porcelain, and the bench is quartz, so I can use the shower spray stuff on that too and NEVER have to clean the shower. The extra cost was well worth it for us. I put the fancy glass/marble/foil mosaic on the outside so I can always see it. I get to see my beautiful porcelain tiles inside every day when I shower. I don't think it makes our room seem smaller. I really love seeing this glass even from the inside!

-Babka

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Whew, I think it would be about 50% - 60% more but without knowing the type shower enclosure it is tough to more exact.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Linelle- The spray really does stop anything from building up. I've used it for years with hard water and chrome fixtures and glass showers. The link below explains how these types of daily shower sprays work so well.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: How daily shower sprays work

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Babka, thanks for the link. I like better understanding how things work. I have a bottle of the stuff in my other shower with glass doors. Unless I spray quite a bit, it kind of clumps in the sprayed areas. I wonder about breathing in the overspray. So, I stick with the squeegee. I'm glad it works for you. It's always good to hear real-world experiences.

• jrueter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Babka - thanks especially for the link. I am a chemist, so it was a very pleasant surprise to see the link from the ACS!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Clumps? There are several different brands. The only one I am familiar with the "Clean Shower". It just sprays a clear mist, no clumps.

-Babka

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Okay, clumps was a bad choice of words. :p The spray doesn't form a uniform sheet, but forms large circles where the spray hits, then it drips downward.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

You don't need to make a uniform sheet...you spray in on the beaded water 12-15" away and the water runs down the wall. It doesn't have to be fully covered, just a mist. What you don't get this time you will probably get the next. The mist also falls to the floor at the bottom of the wall, so after I exit the shower I just need a couple sprays aimed at the floor and I'm done!

Those thin film residue lines get rinsed off the next time water hits the wall/glass. BUT if you want sparkly clear glass all the time, you have to squeegee or towel dry. It it PERFECT for patterned glass.

-Babka

• goingagainstthegrain
    6 years ago

Before using daily shower sprays or any cleaners stronger than mild dish soap, check with the technical support departments of manufacturers of all relatively new shower components to be sure any cleaners or sprays won't damage or void the warranty of the shower components. Daily showers sprays were often specifically mentioned as "do not use" when I was choosing the plumbing "trim" items for our new bathrooms (shower valve controller, showerhead, hand sprayer, tub spout, etc.).

We completed a complete DIY bathroom remodel one year ago (my first "brand new" bathroom ever), and I have to say I've become a confirmed squeegee-er and water drip wiper. I want to enjoy and maintain the "newness" of this bathroom as long as possible, so for the first time I'm motivated, rather than resigned. It took a while to train the family to squeegee the vertical surfaces and wipe dry the metal surfaces with a microfiber cloth and hang it to dry (the teenager is still resisting, even though it literally takes only about one minute), but thankfully my husband has seen the light.

Of course, the daily swipe & wipe (& an efficient bathroom exhaust fan) doesn't do away with the need to clean the shower periodically, but it does reduce the effort and allow for milder cleansers that are easier on me and approved for use on my new bathroom fixtures and surfaces.

• amanda99999
    6 years ago

How wide is your shower? Ours is 3.5' wide (67" or so long), and the water doesn't spray much on the glass. We have glass all along one long side, and the faucets on a short side (perpendicular to the glass). Although the first 3' of the glass wall closest to the faucets has a short half wall that's tiled.

my husband has never once squeegeed, wiped down or done anything to the glass. I spray it with glass cleaner and microfiber cloth maybe every two weeks, and it looks new. Not too bad in between cleanings.

a friend said she never ever does anything but get out of the shower. Her cleaning lady cleans every two weeks, no problems. It doesn't look bad between cleanings.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012