Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bubble glass for shower enclosure? Decision overload.

Posted by jrueter (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 21:39

I keep thinking that some light texture to the glass shower enclosure will minimize the appearance of spots between cleanings. DH will NOT squeegee(and I'm not that into it either). Our contractor can get this bubble glass (see link) but is pushing for the clear. Says squeegee is easy, textured costs more (but won't know exact numbers until they measure tomorrow) and the texture will hide the pretty tile and make the bathroom seem smaller.

Any thoughts or insights? How much of an upgrade is the bubble glass? +10%, +50%, +150%?

Do you think this pattern will hide water spots? Will it visually shrink the bathroom?

Should I just get the clear glass and squeegee? That would seem the safe choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubble glass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bubble glass for shower enclosure? Decision overload.

We put in patterned glass. Yes it totally disguises the daily shower spray we use to keep it from getting hard water and soap spots. The rest of the tile is porcelain, and the bench is quartz, so I can use the shower spray stuff on that too and NEVER have to clean the shower. The extra cost was well worth it for us. I put the fancy glass/marble/foil mosaic on the outside so I can always see it. I get to see my beautiful porcelain tiles inside every day when I shower. I don't think it makes our room seem smaller. I really love seeing this glass even from the inside!

-Babka

photo IMG_3453_zps4148374a.jpg

photo IMG_3427_zpscb35bfb3.jpg

o

Whew, I think it would be about 50% - 60% more but without knowing the type shower enclosure it is tough to more exact.

o

The spots and gradual accumulation of stuff will still be there, but you just won't see it as easily. Squeegee *is* fast and easy and it doesn't involve spraying cleaners in an enclosed chamber. I think it's part of the price of having nice stuff.

o

Linelle- The spray really does stop anything from building up. I've used it for years with hard water and chrome fixtures and glass showers. The link below explains how these types of daily shower sprays work so well.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: How daily shower sprays work

o

Babka, thanks for the link. I like better understanding how things work. I have a bottle of the stuff in my other shower with glass doors. Unless I spray quite a bit, it kind of clumps in the sprayed areas. I wonder about breathing in the overspray. So, I stick with the squeegee. I'm glad it works for you. It's always good to hear real-world experiences.

o

Thanks for the input everyone.
Babka - thanks especially for the link. I am a chemist, so it was a very pleasant surprise to see the link from the ACS!

o

Clumps? There are several different brands. The only one I am familiar with the "Clean Shower". It just sprays a clear mist, no clumps.

-Babka

o

Okay, clumps was a bad choice of words. :p The spray doesn't form a uniform sheet, but forms large circles where the spray hits, then it drips downward.

o

You don't need to make a uniform sheet...you spray in on the beaded water 12-15" away and the water runs down the wall. It doesn't have to be fully covered, just a mist. What you don't get this time you will probably get the next. The mist also falls to the floor at the bottom of the wall, so after I exit the shower I just need a couple sprays aimed at the floor and I'm done!

Those thin film residue lines get rinsed off the next time water hits the wall/glass. BUT if you want sparkly clear glass all the time, you have to squeegee or towel dry. It it PERFECT for patterned glass.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here