Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you buy shower doors online?

Posted by eplato (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 21:30

My bathroom remodel is almost done. Now I need to buy clear, semi-frameless sliding glass shower doors. One shower door company came and gave me an estimate of $1400 for 76" high or $1150 for the next height down (3/8 inch glass, installed, with brushed nickel or satin nickel hardware). I live in Westchester County, NY and I know prices are high around NY, but is this unreasonable? Does anyone out there have experience ordering shower doors online? My contractor could install them, but is it worth the risk and hassle? Any recommendations on whom to buy from?

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you buy shower doors online?

I forgot to mention that the width of the shower is 49".

o

We (almost) have to as I live on a small island in the Caribbean where I found today, only one on island company that will order, ship and install and the quote today for my frameless glass shower door - 12" fixed panel, 36" door (total 48" wide) and 72" high was $3400 plus installation !!!!

The company I think I am ordering from is Hovoson and I think I found it here on this forum but as I have not ordered ye,t I have no idea if they are good or not but it's a start.

I enclosed the link

Piaa

Happy

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Shower Doors

o

I paid around $1000 installed for 3/8" 48" glass french doors on a shower a few years ago in Indiana.

Wilson Glass does a lot of online sales, and is DIY friendly. I have not used them, just window shopped a lot.

o

You can find some great and reliable sites for purchasing a shower door or shower enclosure online! Some of the sites such have a pretty comprehensive and easy purchasing system!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyber Shower Door

o

be careful ordering custom shower glass online, if they cut it wrong you are probably going to have to ship it back and that's not easy or cheap. We paid around $1600, that's for a door, a panel next to the door and a half height wall separating the tub from the shower.

o

I love the folks at Wilson Glass. I got a mirror and two shower glass enclosures through them. I was happy with everything. I am local, so I did not order from them online.

o

look for reputable manufacturers and suppliers do your research and you should be fine

o

I'll vouch for Wilson Glass.

For DIY I just recommend waiting until after construction is done to order the door, that is unless you're positive that the shower opening can be built to the correct dimensions.

o

+1 on mongoct

o

Maybe you can go somewhere other than a shower specialty store? We had a windshield replaced at a local glass place recently and when I went inside to pay they have a shower glass display. They were less expensive than the bath showroom that I had looked at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here