Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinions on white trimmed medicine cabs above wood vanity

Posted by kmcg (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 21:06

Does it strike you as strange to have a medium-brown stained vanity sitting under a pair of medicine cabinets framed in white? Here's the story:

My traditional (vintage) house has prominent white trim, and this includes a window that's sort of a focal point in the bathroom. I had planned all along to trim out the mirrored medicine cabinets in white to match the window and door mouldings. I want to use medium brown cabinets to create a little variation in the room; I also think they look a little more elegant. If I do a white vanity, the whole room will be white, plus a little bit of veining in the marble-look floor tile. (I could jazz it up with a colored counter, but am more likely to go with cararra or a gray-green marble.)

So just as I get ready to buy the vanity and linen cabinet in the wood finish, I start to worry: will the white trim above the counter level create dischord? I'd be so grateful for reactions, suggestions, whatever you've got!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinions on white trimmed medicine cabs above wood vanit

Here's a photo that illustrates what I'd hope to end up with by mixing the wood and white. My room is smaller, less grand, but this will give an idea...

o

Google "pps7 bathroom gardenweb" and you should be able to find another example.

I'm doing a dark vanity with white trimmed medicine cabs and windows, marble counter.

o

Thank you cottonpenny! That bath is very similar to the picture in my mind, so it is great to see.

Do you have a thread with pix of your bathroom in progress? I'd love to see what you've done/are doing.

o

Sorry, not yet! New build so we are just at the drywall and paint stage, no tile or vanities in yet. Actually, vanities probably are going in this week.

I got the same medicine cabinets as pps7 from RH, and the same Kohler memoirs sinks. Our vanities are espresso, and my flooring is dark wood-look tile. The counters are carrera, and there is a backsplash above the vanities which are carrera subways along with the shower walls. We have chrome wall mounted faucets. Overall pretty similar to pps7 except with a darker floor and my fixtures are more contemporary/modern rather than traditional. The paint color is Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore. Hopefully, it will come out nice, but it's all just starting to come together now!

o

Here's a thread with pps7's finished bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: dark and light

o

OOPS! The post I just made is nonsensical - I meant to respond to a more current post about a dark vanity in a white bath, since I had asked a similar question. Sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here