Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

Help with flooring to go with carrara marble vanity top!!

sanborn5
16 years ago

I am installing the honed carrara marble in our guest bathroom.

I have a 56x21 ft white vanity. What do you have or what would you suggest for tile on the floor? Do most of you have carrara marble tiles or maybe something in a grayish color? And what about wall color? White trim, and white fixtures also. I am just afraid that the same marble on the floor might be too much. Anyone have pictures of the marble with flooring I would love to see it. And any wall paint suggestions? Thanks,

Comments (12)

• sharrongrant58
    16 years ago

Here are some ideas...I'm going to have a dark wood vanity with a carrara top, and I'm planning on a light blue gray tile with some brown in it. I think it depends a lot on whether you're going for a traditional look or a transitional look (that's me). Also I don't think a white floor would be too practical. Anyway if you want to see more wall colors try the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware websites. Good luck!
    {{gwi:1474423}}
    {{gwi:1474424}}
    {{gwi:1474425}}{{gwi:1474426}}
    {{gwi:1474427}}
    {{gwi:1474429}}
    {{gwi:1474430}}
    {{gwi:1474431}}

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I LOVE the darker blue paint color. It is just what I was thinking about. I am looking at flooring tomorrow.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I looked at tile and marble for two hours and ended up with a beautiful tile a lot like the one pictured above. I think the one I picked had more gray in it, but it definitely had the blue tones. The picture of the bathroom third from the bottom has the paint color I love.
    I printed it and will try to match unless some wonderful person on this board know the name??? Thanks for all the help.

• sharrongrant58
    16 years ago

The picture you like is from Pottery Barn, and there is a Pottery Barn collection of paint colors made by Benjamin Moore - it's almost certainly one of those. However, it may not be from the fall 2007 collection...you might be able to get the color info by calling or emailing PB customer service.
    You can get a color chart and samples of PB colors at your local BM retailer.
    I really like that picture too, and I may go with that color myself, so please post the name or number if you get it!
    Sharron
    (follow the link, then click on more images to find the picture I posted)

Here is a link that might be useful: PB vanity

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will be looking at paint next week. I have a lot of the BM colors, and I will bring the picture with me. However, I also have some Behr color charts and the Bleached Demin is very close. My DH would like me to get Behr, but I have picked several paint charts from different paint companies. If I find a match I will post it.

• motherof3
    16 years ago

sharron58 - Can I ask what style house you have? I love the look of the bathroom you mentioned. I have a center hall colonial, 3000 sq ft. I love the bathroom too, but am not sure if it goes with my classic colonial. I read somewhere about carrera marble should primarily be used in larger, grander homes. Thanks.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

motherof3:
    I am building a cedar shake cottage style. It is a little more formal then a typical cottage but we are building in southern Maine on the coast. (We only have a ROW) Can't quite afford frontage. This marble is going in our (kids)
    or guests bathroom. I still say kids even though they are all married and relocated. We are doing a white vanity with bead-board, the honed carrara marble top with undermount white sink and a 12x12 tile in gray with bluish streaks going thru it. I have seen the carrera marble in capes, colonials, and even farmhouses.(I am a retired real estate broker) Now a days I really believe it is do what you like and anything goes.

• sharrongrant58
    16 years ago

Motherof3 - The vanity I mentioned will be going into an older seasonal cottage that is pretty humble. But I would use a carrara sinktop in any style home. To me, it works with so many styles of vanities & faucets - I think that determines the style more than the sinktop. Take a look at the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware websites, and you'll see shaker, traditional and modern styles all using a carrara marble sinktop.
    What I personally would not do is a whole bathroom of carrara (floors,walls) because I don't go for the formal white look. Maybe that's what's suggested for larger, grander homes.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon58
    That is exactly why I did not go with the carrara marble on the floor. Toooo much and maybe too formal. One of these days I will learn to post pictures on this site and I am going to post pictures of our new home when it is completed. I just posted my appliance list on the appliance forum. I am keeping my fingers crossed to move in the end of October. (originally thought August) and I should know better this is our 8th house. I can not believe how much help the garden web has been. My HD says it is my new bible.

• rivendell
    16 years ago

I think my bathroom floor would go great with your marble! It is white onyx with black dot. I purchased it from Home Expo. The onyx would be great with the marble.

• motherof3
    16 years ago

sanborn and sharon - thanks for the input. i love the look of carrera marble with white beadboard. i am hoping to remodel my bathrooms soon and hopefully they will be as beautiful as these pics.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz