Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acrylic vs. Fiberglass shower units

Posted by aam31 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 20:53

Hi Everyone! Plumbing choices for the new build are on this mont's to do list. I'm debating between acrylic and fiberglass one piece units for 2 upstairs bathrooms. The difference is only about $550, but I'm $800 over budget and considering using this to make a cut.

Does anyone have fiberglass that is unhappy, experienced stains, scratching etc? I've read pros/cons, however I currently have a 'higher grade fiberglass' unit priced in.

Thoughts please?? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acrylic vs. Fiberglass shower units

I have an acrylic shower that is almost 20 years old (biscuit colored) and an acrylic tub/shower combo that is over 25 years old (harvest gold - to be replaced next year),

They both look as good as new, except for one small spot around the drain of the tub where I spilled a little bit of drain cleaner and it crackled very slightly.

I will be replacing the harvest gold one with a white when I redo that bathroom - not because it is worn, but because it is gold :).

In my experience using other people's showers, fiberglass feels thinner, flimsier, flexible. I don't feel that at all with my acrylic. And they are SO EASY to clean!

Go with acrylic - they are too difficult to replace.

Others will tell you to tile, and I love beautiful tiled showers, but I just can't deal with grout.

o
RE: Acrylic vs. Fiberglass shower units

Acrylic is the better material. I don't have fiberglass but I've been in plenty fiberglass tubs and showers. I wouldn't have it in my house if I could help it. The thing about acrylic is you have to be very careful what you choose to clean it. You can't use abrasive products. Believe it or not, Scrubbing Bubbles is "abrasive". The best product I've found for acrylic is Gel Gloss. I get it at Lowes. Time consuming as it calls for an extra step. You have to buff it to a shine. But the shower will literally glow! :) Stays cleaner longer too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here