Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My towels bunch up

Posted by valerieann2 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:49

This is a weird problem, but over the years I've noticed that some of my towels start to "bunch up" at the edges - they get sort of a gathered look. Now it's happening to a bath rug that I got at Ikea - and I haven't even washed it yet. I don't know if it's the lower quality stuff that this happens to, or what. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My towels bunch up

Got pics? I don't quite understand what you mean by "bunch up".

-Babka

o

Here is a pic (not a good one, sorry!) of what I mean by bunched up. This is an old towel, but I believe it was from Pottery Barn, so not exactly inferior quality (or one hopes!) This is also happening to a cotton bathroom rug from Ikea, and I see you can only post one pic per posting, so I'm going to try and post again with a photo of the rug. :-)

o

Here's the bathroom rug - it drives me crazy, b/c I'm always trying to flatten it out and it's hopeless. I have no idea what causes this, either with the towels or the rug. I guess the thing they have in common is that they're both cotton.

o

Sure. It's common, at least in my experience. I can't tell you what causes it - maybe the cross threads shrink a bit?

At any rate, when you pull the towels/rug from the dryer, while they are still warm, give them a quick yank so they come out straight and flat. Not a big job; to me, it's just part of the folding process.

o

The decorative band is shrinking more than the rest of the towel, because it has a different weave causing the puckering. Cheaper towels seem to do that very quickly, but even the designer ones will do it too, given enough heat and time. You can help yourself out by using cold water to wash them...and Yes! cold water will get them clean with the newer detergents that are formulated to do just that. Then tumble dry them on low, removing them before they are bone dry. My dryer stops when they are ever so slightly damp, which allows me to do that quick yank that Gladys refers to above.

It's too late for the ones already shrunken, but for the next ones, think about less heat.

-Babka

o

Thanks! I have wondered about this for a long, long time :-)

o

Just bought some towels from Ikea. I like the "loop" they have so they can be hung easily on a hook. But also realize, they don't have the common "band" - it's one solid sheet with very small little geometric squares for texture - so hopefully there won't be any "bunching" even though they were quite inexpensive. Crossing fingers.

o

Elphaba mentioned she likes the loop on Ikea towels so they're easy to hang on a hook. We have towel hooks in our bathroom and I wrap masking tape around each hook, sticky side up. That way the towels stay on the hooks, and don't fall off every time my teenage daughter breezes in and out of the bathroom! I change the masking tape about every two weeks. Seems to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here