Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curleelocks

Bain Ultra Amma or TMU? Looking for comfort + style

curleelocks
14 years ago

Bathroom designer recommends the TMU for comfort but prefers the look of the Amma. I also have a big space and despite the fact that we are not big people (5'3" and 5'7")she is also recommending a 72" tub. I think we would float away in such a big tub but she thinks a 66" will be lost in the space.

I also can't decide on center drain vs. end drain --again design over function. I can 99.99% guarantee you that only one of us will be in the tub at a time so an end drain 1p tub is fine but she thinks that the look of a 2p center drain is nicer esp since my tub will be the focal point under a big window. As a designer she thinks I should do free standing, but then I would definitely be sacrificing comfort for looks.

Any opinions on size, model, and end drain vs center with regard to look and comfort?

Comments (12)

• curleelocks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks on the screen name.

Your insight on the tubs is very helpful.
    I would love to see the pics you have. I believe you upload pics from photobucket or you can link to any of the web photo hosting sites where you have pictures stored.

• just_julie
    14 years ago

We will be purchasing an Amma Oval, 72x42. Haven't sat in TMU but found the Amma very comfortable. It has a slightly raised seat on each end to allow for air jets... maybe that would help with the float issue? Also, the actual length of the bathing well is 52 1/4.

I should add that my husband and I are 6' and 5'8"... the Amma was roomy for us! You should really try to sit in a 72in tub before you purchase one to make sure you're comfortable.

If you will be using the tub a few times a year, go with form. If you will be using it often, go with function.

Is a 6 inch shorter tub going to make -that- much of a difference design-wise? I have a ruler sitting in front of me... lol...

• curleelocks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is a 6 inch shorter tub going to make -that- much of a difference design-wise? I have a ruler sitting in front of me... lol...

The problem is the 66" doesn't come as a double with a center drain, drain is on one side so it also changes the look even more.
    Turns out the interior floor depth of a 66 vs a 72 is exactly the same at 52 1/4". It's just the outer rim that is larger.

• just_julie
    14 years ago

The single looks wider on one end... don't care for that. Have you tried to imagine yourself in it facing one way or the other? What your view would be every bath?

At least you don't have to commit with the big one, you can change your position anytime! :)

I would still try to sit in one if you can.

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

Hi Curleelocks...Here are the tub pics I have...Let's hope this works! :)

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

OK, I figured it out! Here you go...

{{gwi:160495}}

• sadie709
    14 years ago

curleelocks
    My friend put in a 72" jetted tub and when I spent the weekend I had to try it out. I am 5"2. I nearly drowned. I couldn't stay seated and kept floating away. I too had to grip the sides to stay seated. I got out quite annoyed after 5 min and took a shower. Find a friend with a big tub and try it out or stay at a hotel with a big tub before you buy.

• michmash
    14 years ago

I am looking at purchasing the AMMA 6636 for my bathroom remodel. I hope I am choosing the right tub. Has anybody added the chromotherapy to their tub? Is it worth the extra expense?

• suzienj
    14 years ago

I'm 5'7 and like a 6 foot tub (72 inches)-- my old tub was 70x36 and the space could "hold" so much more and the tub looked lost- so keep that in mind.

I had Chromotherapy and LOVED IT!!! so soothing. But in our new home build i dont think i'm going to include it b/c i'm going with a soaking tub and i dont want to have to put in an access panel just for the light- the tech said if it breaks in 6 years they will probably have to access it under. I like low maintance. but if you are putting in an access panel b/c you have an air or jetted tub DEF go for the chromatherapy- i loved the blue light- so relaxing!

• dhogan1036_aol_com
    12 years ago

We just purchased an Amma 66x36. Some decision points were our family are not bath people but in our remodel wanted to include a bath for those days you want to relax sore muscles and any future resale value. Went with one-person Amma 6636 bcuz you get great bathing well space and didn't want to spend $$ on more than I would really use, i.e., 2 heated back rests, 2 sets of arm rests, etc. Also considered gallons needed to fill tub. As to air jets cooling water too soon, I called Bain. They explained that if you keep motor in the same room it's much better. The air is heated from the tub but pulled in from the room where the motor is and if you remove motor and place it somewhere else you may be pulling in colder air. If the air being used is warmer air, the problem will be lessened. Our bathroom tends to get cold in winter so we have a small portable Holmes heater we use in mornings so that will heat up air in bathroom. We are keeping motor with the tub, not moving motor to another room. Also, be sure to insulate if tub will be on an outside wall. Ours is and bcuz of remodel we were able to put extra row/layer of insulation. I sat in the 72x36 Amma at showroom, and it was very comfortable. Depends on what you desire from look and how you will use your tub. I usually want symmetry with both ends looking the same, but in this case I think Amma 1 person will look like what it is, a very comfortable pretty mini spa. You will need vent for the air to get to tub. Our access panel will be louvered so it will act as vent/access panel. I inquired of Bain about loudness of the tub and was told the sound would be the bubbles. Bain rep on phone was very helpful, knoweldgeable & friendly.

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.