Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Please Show Me Your Favorite Shower Niche Picture

trudymom
15 years ago

I'd love to see your favorite shower niche picture.

Thank you!

Comments (32)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

That's easy.

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

I adore this niche! Has there been a thread describing the details of the tile & application? Seems I recall reading about it. Otherwise, I might have to ask Bill to write a little about it. Stunning lil' niche! Thanks

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Easy. The tile is Daltile's Salerno Series. The field tile is SL-82 Cremona Cafe, and the stripe is SL-81 Nubi Bianchi. The chair rail going around the niche is travertine, and the shelves are dakota mahogany.

I remember all this only because the Salerno Series is one of my favorite tiles to work with, and I designed the niche myself. :-)

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Here is the one in my son's bathroom. The floor is cararra basketweave with the black marble dots.

{{gwi:1474033}}

Anita

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Copycat!! :-)

Very nice!!

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

Overwhelmed but thinking I'm going for it; I will construct 1 or 2 (hopefully close to the excellence of those 2 niches!) soon as I make that ultimate tile decision. Thanks!

• jpinsonjr
    15 years ago

Here is ours that was finished this week

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/jpinsonjr/P1060390.jpg[/IMG]

• jpinsonjr
    15 years ago

Ours is almost completed. Still need to wipe off excess grout and seal it.

• rockrisley
    15 years ago

For those of you that have the niche with the radius shelves, did you have the shelves custom cut? Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I custom cut and bullnose all mine on site.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Those of us who are copying Bill V (thanks Bill!) have to get ours custom cut. I had a granite guy do mine out of some remnants he had.

Anita

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

My little niche is in progress at the moment. You can see it on the right side of the picture. I didn't want it "in your face" on the long wall (that's the wall facing the door) and I didn't want it at the back of the shower, where you'd have to step out of the water to get to it and where the towel hook will be. I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out. :)

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

Here's one on a houseboat. Crossville tiles on the wall and tumbled marble for the insert with a glass "retention" strip.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lainie55
    15 years ago

After seeing those beautiful photos of really nice shower niches, perhaps I've changed my mind on this, but....

I wanted the niche to blend in with the rest of the tiles because it will be filled with ugly shampoo bottles, etc so I didn't want to draw attention to it. So the tiles are the same as the shower walls, the seams line up, and the shelves are just bullnosed pieces of the wall tile.

A different philosophy just thought I'd share. Is it best or right, heck if I know!

Lainie

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

jpinsonjr, would you share details regarding the tile in your shower? I love the color variation and texture! Nice niche!
    Thanks

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

So the tiles are the same as the shower walls, the seams line up, and the shelves are just bullnosed pieces of the wall tile.

That's not out of the ordinary. Matter of fact, that's actually the norm.

• jpinsonjr
    15 years ago

Luvhorses
    Thanks for the kind words. These photo's were taken before we sealed the grout and the colors are muted. Here are a couple more photos's. We have sealed the grout but I haven't taken anymore photo's. The colors really pop after sealing. These photos really don't show the color well. Once we are done, I will post before and after photo's
    12 x 12 - Travertine Noce Alpaca
    Chair rail - Travertine - we didn't put the chair rail in the shower.
    2 x 2 - Scabos - We saw lots of scabos that was more muted.
    1 x 1 - Scabos -
    Grout - Summer Wheat

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

jpinsonjr,

Pardon me, but I covet your stunning shower! Yesterday, I read your post as I was sitting outside a tile store! Immediately, I ran in and looked at the tile. Although, the guy stated he hadn't had the alpaca for quite a long time plus, the only scabos in the showroom was very orange, red and yellow! Your wall color appears similar to mine: SW Latte. Looking forward to finished pics; keep up the good work!

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

jpinsonjr

The movement, color and visual texture of the scabos and how it accentuates the alpaca seems to be the attraction. Can you tell me more about the scabos. Seems to be a variety of "scabos" tile guess dependent on origin and company. Thanks for your valuable information shaping my final design ideas!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

I have a question. For those of you with niches framed with beautiful tile molding, do you find that creates more places for soap scum to land, possibly for mildew to grow or just a more difficult surface to clean than an unframed niche? I love the look and am imagining replacing our niche when we do a remodel but the LAST thing I'm looking for is more work and maintenance! If you've had yours up and running a while, so to speak, I'd love to hear how you like it on a day to day/cleaning basis apart from the good looks.

• jpinsonjr
    15 years ago

Luvhorses,

I sent you an email with more detail about our Scabos. Where we purchased and the item number. Maybe you can contact them and they can help.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

dlm2000-- I can't answer from personal experiince. But I CAN tell you that there's a GC here in town whose kitchen I just did a helluva kitchen backsplash for, and who works with the guy who owns the shower that niche above is in on a daily basis (he owns the company that does most of the site work for the GC's in the area). This GC is getting ready to sell his house and build a new one for himself, and when he does, he wants me to duplicate it exactly. Same with his brother, whose new house I'll be working on in just a couple of weeks. That should say something. :-)

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Bill - it COULD tell me that he never cleans the shower! Can we ask his wife?? ;-)

• daniels6_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Go with a one piece porcelain multi compartment recessed shower niche. They are much more sanitary that a grouted custom niche. Mark Daniels

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Remodeling

• suzanne_sl
    13 years ago

Mark - thanks for the link. I loved loving at your bathrooms with all their different decorating styles and choices. My original search was for shower niches, thanks trudymom. I don't really like the shower niche you show, but I love having the opportunity to consider it as well as the other specifics of your bathrooms. Just so you can tell what a person in the planning stages might be interested in seeing:

Kohler shower bases vs. small grouted tile
    bold vs. bland countertops
    various tiling patterns and color use
    windows in the shower area
    tile vs. paint in the non-shower portions of the room

• Brad140273
    11 years ago

New to this site and forum, hope you like my simple niche, made of 4" x 16' marble tile.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Wow that's a big niche - very nice!!

We're putting one into a guest bathroom - here it is.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Two different sized niches with marble and Caesarstone shelves. No border.

• axxis_rose
    11 years ago

Here are my 3 niches...2 of them are glassos tile and thassos shelves, the corner niche is subway tile and carrara.

• lisaj1354
    11 years ago

This is from Houzz.com, but I covet it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [niche[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/spa-bathroom-design-ideas-traditional-bathroom-san-diego-phvw-vp~669420)

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Umm wow. Lisaj that is beautiful and I guess our tile person had seen it as ours is pretty much an exact knock off only with smaller, less exciting niches.

I mean it's the same. Same feature tile, green glass, calcutta marble side walls only theirs looks real and ours is porcelain.

I guess we're not being as original as I thought! Lol.