Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

can i mix athens gray marble with white subway tile?

bridget helm
10 years ago

We are going with a clean line look in our bathroom. Kohler purist faucets in chrome. and a wall mount faucet for a free standing acrylic tub.

i found a great price on 12x24 Athens gray polished marble tiles. I thought I'd use these on the floors and the little hexagons to match for the shower floor. I want white subway tile backsplashes behind the vanities and a white subway tile wainscot throughout the bathroom. the countertops will be athens gray slabs.

can i mix athens gray polished marlble with white subways?

i thought that i could tie it all together with this mosaic going above the tub on the wall that the tub is on.

https://www.houzz.com/products/lineage-asian-statuary-and-athens-gray-tile-prvw-vr~2489310-Asian-Statuary-and-Athens-Gray-Tile-modern-bathroom-tile-

i'll post a pic of the floorplan in a sec so that you can envision it.

thanks!!

Comments (7)

• enduring
    10 years ago

The color is beautiful, as nice darkish brownish gray. I think white would look fine with it. I don't know about the trim above the tub. what would it look like? How much of the wall would it be? What color is the tub?

Have you drawn it up and colored it? That is what I might do before I commit to a combination.

I have heard that some GWers have bought marble online and the samples aren't anything like the actual tile they get. Can you get the marble locally? So you can be sure that the stone is what you want.

Last question, is your floor strong enough for stone tile?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks enduring. The slab can hold the stone. I got a sample of the 12x24 tiles. I'm waiting on samples of the hexagons for shower floor as well as the trellis sample.

You'll understand better what I'm thinking of doing with the trellis above the tub. I thought that the white and gray in the trellis mosaic might tie in the white of the subway tile, but maybe it will be too busy.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I think marble and white ceramic or porcelain always look lovely together. Looks like you've picked a unique and beautiful marble. Your plan sounds like it will look great.

• enduring
    10 years ago

The trellis is very pretty. I didn't under stand what was being shown on the houzz site. I was only looking at the solid colored tiles. I totally ignored the mosaics. I see now what you are going to do. I think. there was a bathroom a while back that did a whole wall with a beautiful elaborate marble mosaic that was by some high end tile maker. The rest of the room was laid out in a calacatta marble or porcelain. Do you remember seeing it? Kind of a mix of modern and classic styles.

When you get your samples together it will be much easier to lay it all out to see if you like it together.

You can't really see the layout on my floor. But I had done this ad nauseum :)

Here is some marble that is whitish, with my white tiles:

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooooo. yes. it looks great! I LOVE your floors. are those montauk blue slate?

i put the trellis with the floor tile and with some leftover white subway tiles that i had from our current house, and I think it all looks really nice together.

the only "glitch" i noticed is the trellis mosaic being thicker than the subways, so if I put the trellis above the subway wainscot, just on teh bathtub wall, they tiles won't line up. can they just put more grout behind the subways so that it lines up with the trellis?

• enduring
    10 years ago

As you see in my second picture, the marble is on top of 4x4s. I put the pencil in because I thought it needed the line to define the two materials, and it mimicked the bottom of the chair rail detailing. What I hadn't counted on was that the thickness of the marble causing layout problems like you are anticipating. So, I made the pencil just a bit raised from the 4x4, so it would transition to the depth of the marble.

I laid the 4x4 as normal and the marble as normal. The pencil, I laid thick to help with the transition.

Tiling is a good exercise in humbleness. Nothings perfect and my tile job reflects that. I remind myself everyday as I see my tiny imperfections and remember laying this tile or that tile.

The montauk is black and I got it at Home Depot via special order at 2.99/sf. It was 12x12 and I cut it to 12x6.