Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for a 5' Cast Iron Deep Soaking Tub Please

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 19:44

I am looking for a deep, cast iron soaking tub. The 5.5' Tea for Two would be great but I can't fit it in my space. Kohler has a" Reve" stand alone which is lovely but at $3800 a bit pricy. Toto has a 5'x36" with arm rests and grab bars but I am concerned because it is only 19.5" wide at the base inside. The Greek Tub is interesting but I don't trust my knees to manage getting in and out. I've been reading the forum for hours and have scoured the Kohler and Toto websites. All suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for a 5' Cast Iron Deep Soaking Tub Please

We love our Toto 1525's--cast iron soaking tubs. Don't know if they are deep enough for you, but we are happy with them.

o

Kohler memoirs may also be an option, depending on whether or not you like the style. Also Mendota. And AS offers a deeper, plain looking cast iron tub, something like the toto.

American Standard also makes a special overflow that works on any brand of tub that will give you another couple of inches of depth for whatever you choose, if you can stand the way it looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: deep soak drain

o

The Greek is only four feet long. We did a step in front of it with a grab bar and it is fine. I would not feel comfortable without the grab bar because my knees are giving up too! i posted a pic a while back.

o

Thanks to all; cat mom,writersblock and nycbluedevil. I should have mentioned that the tub will be open on three sides to allow 30" at either end for a wheelchair to pass through. The Toto 1525 won't work but the Toto 1500 should work. It is about 60x36x22. I would have to build a 3" frame and I'm not certain how that would look, most surrounding decks seem to be about 6" wide. The other possibility is the Kohler "Reve" freestanding which finishes at 67" but it is pretty pricy. Has anyone sat in the Reve? I am going to check on the AS this morning and I am looking for the Greek. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

o

For what it is worth, my surrounding deck is 3".

o

Oh, then the AS tub won't work for you, either. AFAIK their only cast-iron model is an alcove tub, like the toto 1525. They might have something in americast, but that's definitely not cast iron.

o

Thanks again to all for input. No the AS won't work but it is helpful to know that nycbluedevil's deck is only 3". Please tell me if the 3" is measuring from the inside edge of the tub (a bit outside where it begins to slope down or are you measuring from somewhere else? I think it can be installed as an undermount if I have a cabinet maker build the box just a bit, 1/2" bigger than the tub. Then cover the top with a slab material. The total length would be about 5' 7" (I hope).
Glad to know some of you have finished and are enjoying your baths.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here