Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Do your double wall sconces give off heat?

jterrilynn
9 years ago

For those of you who have double sconce's near (close) to sides of mirror does it give off a lot of heat? Lets say you only have a 30" vanity. Should I be concerned ?

Comments (7)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

What kind of light-bulbs do you have in them? Are they closer to your body than you're used to? Do you smell anything burning?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I don't have the sconces up yet. We have to mount the scones on side alcove walls next to mirrors. That would have them a few inches closer to your person when standing at vanity. The bulbs could be changed to something with less heat if need be. However, I'm wondering if in general people notice it being any hotter with scones hung on mirror sides at approximately eye level.

edited by typo queen.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:25

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Our sconces have 75W halogens in them (they give off the same amt. of light as a 100 watt incandescent light bulb) I do not notice any heat coming from them when I near them brushing teeth or applying make-up. I know the bulbs get hot to the touch.

The fluorescents stay cool and come in a bunch of hues, as do some LEDs and there are "daylight" ones too but they looked purplish in our bathroom. You can always put lower wattage bulbs into a fixture, but you cannot go higher than they are rated. The specs on each fixture will tell you how many watts are max. Ours have Edison sockets and we tried 5 different bulb set ups to get the right color and brightness. It ain't easy.

Our bathroom lights don't stay on for hours like the ones in our family room so heat doesn't really figure into our equation. When we replaced the 18 recessed (halogen) can lights in the family room and kitchen with LEDs, our electric bill dropped in half, and the room is noticeably cooler.

-Babka

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Babka, wow! Electricity bill dropped in half. That's impressive.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Ready to mount. :) Sorry, couldn't resist. I've typed it that way too often to count.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linelle lol!
    Babka, I love bulb info!!! This can save a person six months of trial and error.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Love the scones - our London sales rep always spells sconce that way - and I think she has scones on her mind.

As Monica asked, what kind of light bulbs do the sconces currently have? If they are medium base, you could switch to a Philips LED that is now available in a warm white, which I have used successfully. If they are candelabra base, your choices will be more limited, but I have replaced G10 halogen in my kitchen with warm white LEDs, but they do not perform that well when dimmed, although they definitely are dimmable.

I don't mind a bit of extra heat in the bathroom, but in the kitchen it is intolerable. The halogen I had in the kitchen really heated up that room. I have CFLs in my bathroom (not by my choice), and I will eventually replace the entire fixture.

Lars

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!