Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmlanza

Tiny vanity with vessel sink?

rmlanza
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here and usually hang out over at the kitchens forum. We're doing a major kitchen remodel because of water damage to our hardwood floors. The water was from the water line to our refrigerator and it leaked under the wall and into the powder room. So it, too, is getting a mini remodel. My problem is that it is a tiny little powder room with a pedestal sink. There are a lot of wonky angles in the room and, sorry to get graphic here, but when you're standing up from the toilet you're in real danger of bonking your head on the edge of the sink. I desperately want a copper vessel sink though and I'm thinking I could replace the pedestal with a rounded vanity or maybe even tuck it over in the corner a bit. But where can I find the vanity without the sink already in it? I haven't found the shape I want with a copper bowl. Can you use pretty much anything for the vanity and stick a countertop on it and a sink? Is there any reason it has to be a "vanity" to make it into a vanity? Sorry to be so dumb but I've never remodeled a bathroom before. Can anyone point me to a site that might have a wide selection of petite vanities on which I can put my own sink and not one that has them already built in?

Thanks so much!

Robin

PS I'd post pictures but the only one I have of this bathroom has my daughter (then 2) sitting on the toilet and the sink has since been removed so the floor can go in.

Comments (6)

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

No, you can use whatever you want! We used a big thick slab of fir in our condo bathroom and installed it so that it was "floating". We had a vessel sink on top. It looked marvelous.

The wood was a log salvaged from the lake where my BIL has a cabin. They rough cut the slab with a chainsaw and then we power sanded it.

It was great because it was totally open underneath and worked really well in our small bathroom.

Here is an in-progress photo, as it shows more of the vanity.

and another finished:

• kim2007
    16 years ago

That's incredible! I love that log slab countertop! It looks like it must weigh quite a bit, but if it was a salvaged log, had it dried out a lot?

• jant
    16 years ago

You can use whatever you want for sure but if you want a small vanity, then just take off the top/sink. They're certainly cheap!

We inherited a bath just like these with an 18" vanity with cultured marble top. You were SO close to the wall you'd bang your elbows trying to wash your face...arrrgh.

So I found some wonderful wall faucets on Ebay, bought a vessel sink (this would allow you to be at an angle and away from the wall) and we extended the depth of the vanity with a wood top to 22". Beadboard on the vanity exterior and I fauxed an old white painted med cab to look like an antique stained one. Much more attractive and functional now. Yes.....we too are going to round off that corner by the toilet..noticed that the first time I used the toilet. Here are 3 pix.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Teeny bath

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Kim, no when we salvaged the log it hadn't been on the beach that long, so it was still pretty wet. We let it dry inside for a couple of weeks. Truthfully, we probably should have let it dry longer but we were impatient. :-) Never had problems with it in 3 years before we moved.

It was heavy. My husband had a plate especially made that went into the wall with a rod sticking out which went inside a hole drilled in the log. It was supported on the side wall side by another plate. Very heavy duty - you could stand on that counter, easy, but also invisible.

I was VERY sad to leave that bathroom.

• karencon
    16 years ago

There are lots of vanities, sinks and faucets on ebay where I got everything for this small powder room. I was even able to find a vanity cabinet that exactly matches my kitchen cabinets. The vanity cabinet comes of course without any top.
    Karen
    {{gwi:1473761}}

{{gwi:1447736}}

• rmlanza
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are awesome, love the log vanity! And Karen, that's exactly the type of sink and faucet I want...just gorgeous! We have definitely decided to go with a corner vanity and I think we'll try and get our kitchen cabinet installer to make us one if he can quote us a reasonable price. I may run around to some antique stores this weekend and see what I can find first, though.
    Thanks again!
    Robin