Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Suggestions for inexpensive crystal chandelier for maste bath.

pps7
12 years ago

I'm looking for a nice simple crystal chandelier for my master bath that doesn't cost $1000!

I'd love suggestins with pictures. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Try sheri. She will make whatever you want and her prices are very reasonable. She doesn't have much in stock right now, but if you look through the sold chandeliers it will give you an idea of what she can do. (I'm assuming you want a traditional style--I don't think she does modern).

I haven't bought a chandelier from her but I've ordered several crystal windchimes. She's very easy to work with and if you tell her your budget she'll work within it. Very good quality materials, too. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer who really wishes I didn't have 7 ft ceilings in my baths, so I could have her do something for mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: sheri's crystal designs

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Also, for a an ultra-budget option, someone here (sorry, don't remember who--anyone know the bath I mean, the one with the arch over the tub?) got a charming little chandy from Walmart that worked quite well. Don't know if it would still be available or not.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oh, it was girlcat:

Here is a link that might be useful: modest bath redo

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Try Overstock.com. Got my Minka crystal chandie there for $99...

My chandie:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Three-light-Antique-Copper-Crystal-Chandelier/4406943/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock.com

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I've found several I like on overstock.com as well. Even one that looks very similar to a pricy pottery barn chandelier.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

@mydreamhome: I looked at that same chandelier on overstock. Will you please post a pic of it hanging in your home? Would love to see it :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Overstock has some very nice chandeliers, but you need to also check the specs elsewhere, since o.com isn't usually very good about telling you which ones use acrylic crystals, if that matters to you.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Try a local salvage place, like Habitat ReStore (or we have something called the ReBuilding Center in our city,and a place that deals in vintage fixtures of all kinds). They'll take some work, poss. rewiring, but they'll be *authentic* and cool and add a great historical vibe to the room.

Check eBay for this as well, of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: There are larger ones, but this one is small and beautiful

• bill_g_web
    12 years ago

Try EBay. My sister buys antique chandeliers for all her rooms on EBay.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oddly enough, where I live old dead chandelier carcasses sell for more than it would cost to buy one completely refurbished, recrystaled, and rewired. I suppose that's because the woman who invented the tiresome teacup chandy is not far away and she bought up all the old condo chandies (the ones that had smoked florentine crystals) till they became such rarities that you can ask any price you please these days.

So habitat/thrift stores may be great for you, or they may make you gasp with dismay at the prices.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

janealexa-My chandie is supposed to be installed today. I'll get a pic once it's in and let you see. I will tell you that our lighting supplier said they used to have one in their showroom and that it was of good quality, but it sold in their last floor display sale so I couldn't see it in person. Another thing I figured out about Overstock--alot of times there will be a model# listed but no manufacturer. I've just taken to Googling the model number and using a descriptive term in the search box. Once the seach is done, I click on the 'Images' option on the left and just view the pics until I find the one on Overstock. That generally tells me everything I need to know to find more reviews on the product, who makes it, if it's a discontinued item, and regular retail price. Hope this helps! I'll send the pics as soon as I can snap them & get back home.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

mydreamhome: thanks for the info! looking forward to seeing your pics:)

• skatermom
    12 years ago

I love that look! And before you install, be sure the light UL listed for wet locations, most electrical codes state the chandelier must be 8 feet higher vertically than the bath tub, or I think 5 feet away horizontally. You should check your local codes to be sure.

We wanted to do the same thing as I was drooling over all the houzz photos, but it wouldn't work in our space.

I think there were a couple threads about this....

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Code is very strict on the placement of the chandelier. However, like everything else, there are ways around it-- once all the inspections are done, you can move your fixture wherever you like. Some inspectors will allow you to just cap the box in the actual position you plan to have the chandelier--so long as the chandelier is not hung and the box not uncapped until final inspections are complete. These are just some examples of what I have heard/seen.

janealexa-The chandie didn't get hung yet--electrician was working alone over the weekend while his crew was off enjoying the holiday weekend. As the hardwood floors are being finished this week, the electrician won't be able to get back in until next week. I'll post the pics as soon as I can :-)

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Yeah, you can wiggle your way right around the code if you feel safe doing that. The reason the code has limitations about this is that they don't want people electrocuting themselves. If there ever is a problem down the road, and you slip and grab the chandy, you can be sure your insurance company won't pay out for your death if you deliberately installed it against code.