Houzz Logo Print
nanmeade

Opinions as I complete bath makeover.

nanmeade
9 years ago

Before:

During:

Flooring and vanity are staying. Here are close ups:

Decision Making: What do you think of these choices?

Lighting

2 Lights or 3 Lights?

{{gwi:1473608}}

{{gwi:1473609}}

Mirror:

Faucet:

Vanity Top and Paint:

{{gwi:1473614}}

The quartz top shown with existing vanity and flooring:

The sink is going to be a white, undermount sink. I am replacing the toilet with a white one and that is the next decision. Tomorrow I go to the Marble, Quartz remnant store and see what I can find. Please let me know what you think of the choices so far. Just so you know, I am definitely going with the polished chrome. I don't want gold or bronze lights or faucet. Thanks so much! Nancy

Comments (10)

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I like your choices so far. As far as 2 or 3 lights I lean towards three, but would measure the space to be sure. If you can remove your cabinet door to take to the remnant yard it will be very helpful in choosing your countertop.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the faucet and lighting are both fine on their own but I don't find them compatible stylistically with each other.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

To be honest, I don't find your fancy, contemporary finishes to work very well with your utilitarian two-door oak sink base. It's hard to understand why you'd go to the expense of high-end finishes and pair them with your old cabinets. If you want to keep costs down, I would order new doors that cover the frame and paint the frame. One place you can buy doors is Barker Cabinet in Oregon. You can price them out on their website. For example, I priced out a paint-grade maple 18" wide Shaker door in white factory paint for about $75. People on the kitchen forums have used their RTA cabinets for entire kitchens and love the quality. They also make vanities.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! You are right may_flowers about the vanity. I really would like to replace it but I am trying to keep not only costs down but also construction down. I didn't even think about replacing the cabinet doors. Great idea and that's why I posted here. You mentioned that I picked contemporary finishes. My home is traditional. Should I look for something more traditional? Please help! (I do love the faucet though.) I am off to the remnant store with the cabinet door which may stay in the car. Thanks again everyone!!!

• enduring
    9 years ago

The lights are very nice, I have always liked those lights. The mirror not so much with the lights. The faucet, not with the lights. The open faucet spout would worry me about getting mineral build up in the trough area. The shape just doesn't go with the style of the lights.

I like the idea of getting new doors, and I would paint the trim ti match.

The counter color does not look as good as I would like. It goes with the oak but not the blue in the floor. If you go with painted cabinet doors, Id start over with your color choices.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone so far. The faucet is novel but doesn't go with the light and I'd also be concerned with the extra cleaning in the trough. I like three lights over two, if it will work in your space.

I struggled finding a mirror and know it's not always easy. Not sure the "distressed" frame goes with your other finishes.

If you really need to keep your existing vanity, and I would think hard about that, new doors will give it a much needed facelift.

Nobody's mentioned your floor. I think the small blue-ish tile needs to go.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

I like it all but not together. My aunt has that trough faucet in ORB and it has major buildup from hard water. Due to the finish she can't use aggressive cleaners without damaging the finish so it stays dirty looking. Chrome might not be as hard to clean.

I think the floor tile are fine but you need to take them into account with everything else. You might look into grout renew to freshen up the grout or even change the color to look more intentional design aspect.

Would you be willing to paint or change the finish on the cabinets?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I prefer three-light fixtures and have one over a 36" vanity with a temporary 24" mirror in a guest bath. The light is slightly shorter than the mirror. I'd probably do the two-light in a powder room. Mock up that light to see if it's too much for a short wall. It's got a lot going on.

I see a little blue-gray in the quartz, so I think it goes with the floor. I don't care for the brown grout and would see if it could be regrouted. I have no idea what the cost of that would be.

If you want to go with the silvery mirror, I'd avoid caramel brown on the countertop and might paint the doors gray or white or do a light stained wood door.

Personally, I'd lean traditional to keep in line with the bones of the house. If you want to keep the brown grout and go with the gray-blue/brown/cream theme, you could get stained doors from Barker. They have a medium stain option now called Tamarack. Since the vanity is all doors and the focal point of your powder room, I would go with a more styled door than a plain Shaker. I used Shaker in my kitchen but wanted something prettier for the guest bath.

Here is Barker's New York door. It would be nice painted too. You could dress it up with some pretty pulls. There are plainer styles too, but not as plain as Shaker.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Well I know some things for sure now. This is the counter top. It is Silestone Mountain Mist. We are getting an undermount, white, oval sink. So those things can't change. Here's what it looks like:

A couple of things:

We have a water softening system in our home so hard water is not an issue. However, if you think the faucet is a bad idea, I am crossing that off the list.

The grout is not brown. It is cement. The photos are picking up the brown from the trim and the vanity.

This is not a complete reno. The flooring is cemented in and I really did not want to deal with a new floor.

Now that I have ideas about cabinet doors (thanks may_flower), I will check that out. And back to square one on the lighting and faucet.

Seriously, thanks for all of your help! Nancy

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I think I am wrong girls. It looks like they may have colored the concrete grout in this bathroom. I never thought about it but we have the same flooring in our other two baths and it is a white/light gray. Why they would do that is beyond me. No wonder when I scrub it I have never been able to get it brighter.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH