Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfiliberto

Frameless Shower door- Should it have a metal track at top?

gfiliberto
12 years ago

I am remodeling my master bath and built a 5ft x 3 ft limestone shower. Because the door will be centered between two glass panels and NOT attached to a wall, they are telling me that it is best to have a chrome rod across the top. I can get thicker glass and bigger hinges and do it without the metal rod across the top, but they said it may not be as stable and the silicone may leak. I want my shower tile to be the focal point. Should I just get the thicker glass and risk the leakeage??? Do any of you have the metal across the top? I see both in magazines.

Comments (12)

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

Based on what I've read while researching on the various 'frameless' options, if the door is hinged to glass instead of the wall, a top frame or bracing of some type for the supporting panel is strongly recommended. This is due to the non-swinging panel having to bear the entire weight of the swinging door, rather than a fixed, braced wall bearing the load.

• sarahneider
    12 years ago

Artteacher, I have also been researching the no top glass door and I'm sorry to say that I also think the weight on the glass to glass hinges is iffy. have you seen this? it is a sliding door, very pricey but a different solution:http://www.surplusdecor.com/vigo-60-inch-frameless-frosted-glass-chrome-shower-door-3340.html?gdftrk=gdfV21933_a_7c307_a_7c1948_a_7cVG6041CHMT6074L. I am painting a mural on all of my bathroom walls including the tub enclosure, so I am very interested in the least frame possible.

Gr8day, can you tell me where to look for the very skinny top bar? I am doing chrome.

thanks, Sarah

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I wish I knew. I am always looking at stuff online and that is where I found it. I will try to find it for you. It was rounded instead of flat and very shallow. Dare I say pretty? I was kicking myself for not seeing it before this top brace went in. It's not bad it's just that our shower guy wasn't the best...he had to come back three times and my husband is the one who finally fixed. When it was first installed the door was so tight it would screech when you opened it, sort of scary. Then he had the piece remade and went overkill in the other direction so that it had 1/4" or more gap and water just streamed out during a shower as the head unfortunately faces the door. I did not want this bull in a china shop guy here any more as he always seemed to ruin something else on his way out so that is why my husband fixed it. He centered the door so that there is equal distance on each side but it's still not right. OY VEY! All the while this shower door guy is telling me what a master he is at what he does. The bathroom project from h3ll. Good luck on your projects!!!

• jjaazzy
    12 years ago

Get more people out there. I had at least 10 companies you wouldn't believe the stuff they came up with, each one told me something different. They all wanted to drill through my floor and have a support bar. (I have a curb-less so they would have been putting a hole into my water barrier) I ended up running 1/2" thick glass from floor to ceiling and this is clipped at ceiling with a very tiny clip and 2 on the wall, and then the door swings off of this and the other panel has just one small clip at the top. No metal bracket and no drilling into my floor. Love it! It is very stable and have been using it for almost a year now. OMG does time fly by.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I think I found the info about the smaller top brace. It seems that if your glass runs from glass to wall it can take a smaller bracket if it is glass to glass needs a larger one. Therefore it may not be able to be used for every application. I agree with the above poster that you should have more people come out if you don't feel satisfied with the info you are getting. Sure wish I had done that! I was stuck with the contractor's sub. I also wonder if you could use some sort of J-moulding instead of such a huge brace. Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Frameless glass shower braces

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

Seems as though you are in NJ...call Glasscrafters in Carlstadt. They just did my shower completely frameless...3 panels. 2 stationary to the walls and the door swinging out in the middle and attached to one of the side panels. My shower is approximately 72"x48" and the height of the glass is 80".

HTH

• suero
    12 years ago

I have a shower that has a 62" opening. There are two 13" 1/2" glass panels attached to the wall and floor. Two fasteners on the wall (into studs) and one fastener on each panel into the floor. The 34" 3/8" thick glass door is attached with two hinges to one of the panels. The fixed panels also have silicone seals to the wall and floor, and there are silicone bumpers on the door and a silicone sweep at the bottom. The shower is getting on four years old, and I have had no problems with the configuration. You do NOT need to have a frame of any kind on a frameless door. If your shower door folks can't do this, find someone else who can.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I have found a picture of the slim brace as top header! I just set up a photobucket account and after that gymnastics workout I am posting a link to the photo and hope it works!!! Someday I am going to learn how to post them in my message but I am always on an Apple laptop with no mouse so it makes it difficult to do all the steps necessary. Probably just as well or else I'd be uploading photos all the time!

Here is a link that might be useful: slim shower brace header

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

just wanted to say that when you click on my link above for the "slim shower brace header" you have to wait a few seconds maybe click a couple of times on the picture and then it will appear in full size so that you can see it!

• gr8daygw
    6 years ago

Yikes! It's 2017, almost 2018 and none of the links I provided in 2011 work now. I wish I could erase some of this stuff. I don't see an edit button any longer or delete. This is the picture of the slim brace at the top of the frameless shower enclosure that

I was trying to show but the link only goes to my photobucket account now. Oh dear, I would love to be able to erase that! I noticed in reading my posts (some are just awful and repetitive) but I failed to mention that our shower enclosure only attaches to the wall. The ceiling is very high in the room over 12 feet so I really did need to go with the top brace. After all this time I am totally fine with it and do not even notice it anymore. I think it looks fine.

• Donna Cheung
    6 years ago

We did a shower glass door recently with the oopening door attached to the glass panel. To provide enough support, the glass company had the stationary glass panel go all the way to the ceiling attached with 2 hinges and that provided enough support for the glass door.