Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light in steam shower?

Posted by dianne47 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 18:33

We're adding a master suite to our rustic mountain home, the footers were poured today. We ordered the Amerec steam generator, steam head, and control yesterday so the plumber can rough everything in with the unit already here. We chose Amerec due to the local dealer and support, the owner also provided our soft water system and is THE best supplier in our state.

I mentioned to him that lights for steam showers are so expensive and asked his advice. He said we can use any regular shower light as long as it has a NEOPRENE gasket. Before moving ahead on this I want to get opinions here, as I know there are several steam shower experts who contribute to the forum.

So, can I choose any shower light I like (want ORB finish if possible) as long as it has the right gasket? Or must I get a special light for the steam shower (at many times the cost)? I'm not interested in a sound or chroma light system, just a nice light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light in steam shower?

We, too, were appalled by the price of steam shower lights and were thinking about not putting one in. Our electrician said that he had a light that he swore would work in a steam shower. It was only $25 and we were skeptical, having read that steam can take the finish off fixtures and penetrate the workings of the light unless it has the proper vapor barrier. But we trusted him and told him to put it in, thinking that we weren't risking much. As you would expect given the price, it's a very plain jane light. We've only had the shower in working condition since May; that's not a very long trial.

I'm loathe to recommend it, but it might be an option. It would be good to have opinions from others with real expertise, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here